Molly Stix Quick Release MOLLE/PALs Attachment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I recently created a thread which discussed some of the typical choices for attaching pouches to MOLLE webbing, and what my preference is.

The one thing I had not yet achieved is I wanted to make my FAK quick release so I can throw it in the bike or backpack on the days I'm not carrying my shoulder bag. Traditional attachment methods are insufficient for this role, being a real pain to both attach and detach.

Cue the Molly Stix

Supposedly these were commissioned by the US Government to address a need not currently being met. Suppose you're a soldier wanting to access a FAK attached to the webbing on your armour. If you need better access to your FAK your only real choice is to remove your armour, which is not advisable in combat, or get someone else to rummage through it for you, which may not always be possible, or undo the webbing attachment, which is time consuming. The Molly Stix are intended to be a quick release attachment for MOLLE webbing.

They are woven through webbing in the standard way, but the clever bit is at the top. They contain teeth which bite into the top row of webbing on both your pouch and the item you attach it to. The one on the left is closed and the one on the right is open. They are opened and closed by yanking on the cord attached to the top.

For my bag I replaced both cords with a length of red 550 paracord because it just looks like a quick release handle to me ;). I secured it with figure of eight knots on either end which meant the cord was free running, allowing me to tuck it away when it is not needed.

When released you can just pull the sticks straight out the top, which will cause your pouch to fall right off. They seem to do a good job, holding the pouch very securely when locked, and releasing freely when unlocked. They don't grip the pouch quite as tight as the Blackhawk clips I discussed in my earlier thread since they don't engage with the bottom row of webbing on your pouch, but they still hold it very securely. They are also much quicker to install and remove which is a real boon for the convenience.

They are long enough to use on 5-row webbing, so they stick out a little from the bottom on my 3-row bag, but they don't go below the level of the bottom of the bag itself, so I think I'll just leave them be. I had considered going at them with the dremel, but given that I had to go to the trouble of importing them from the US, and that they don't look too bad as it, I'm inclined to leave them as they are.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE