Modify a Machete into a Parang style blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Both of those look great, very well done. I really like the way you think.

Here in Brazil I do a similar modification of the Tramontina. I was shooting for sort of a Martindale Golok #2 look, a blade unavailable here.

img3332mq5.jpg

I start with the 17 inch heavy Tramontina with wire wrapped birdshead style handle. Machete in photo is cord wrapped. The edges of the wod around the wire wrap really tear up a hand.

I remove the wire and replace it with a solid micarta wrap. This is done to greatly improve the handle strength and make it much easier on the palm.

img0204x.jpg

Close-up of the wrapped micarta handle.

The blade gets cut into the parang style profile.

img0206ei.jpg

My end product w/ sheath

I like to put two edge types on my machetes, a sharp scandi or nearly scandi edge at the base and a full, strong convex up front. The rear of the spine is filed flat for use as a scraper for making tinder and the forward portion is rounded. I find this blade to be very versatile and easily carried. Mac

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I also prefer that type of blade, and I have one Tram and billhook modified that way.18" Ontario is yet to be done.

DSC00613.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE