Modified Nimbewill Wood Stove - Part 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
scoops_uk said:
A lot of stoves have a water tank which fits to the side of the stove, with a tap. Which gives a reserve of hot water, as long as the tank is kept topped up and the stove burning, whenever it is needed.

Have a look here

Just need to find a suitable rectangular tank that can be hooked tightly against the side of the stove to heat up whilst cooking on top.

Start looking round your everyday objects there must be a ready made tank waiting to be discovered somewhere! :D

Scoops

often wonder about an old square section teapot/kettle from a 'teasmaid'.... or a oil resevoir for a custom Harley... or how about a 1gallon jerry can?

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Don Redondo said:
often wonder about an old square section teapot/kettle from a 'teasmaid'.... or a oil resevoir for a custom Harley... or how about a 1gallon jerry can?

Bingo! :You_Rock_

I bet there must be plenty of teasmaid kettles kicking round at car boot sales, or certainly something similar.

Scoops

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
scoops_uk said:
I bet there must be plenty of teasmaid kettles kicking round at car boot sales, or certainly something similar.

Scoops

Might be able to do something with the piping that's in them too, a syphon tap could be easier than making a water tight seal for a bottom based tap.

When fixing the box to the side have a little water in box and tap open, tilt forward to fill syphon pipe, close tap to keep the water in the pipe, from then on syphoning should occur whenever the tap is opened.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
my Kelly Kettle & Trangia are living in the same shelf and spend a lot of time on extended tours - it had to be, it was just a matter of time: Trangia is pregnant now. :) :D ;)

In August we´ll see :lmao:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Thanks Glen the kifaru is exactly the type of thing I was aiming to build. That was a very interesting link! Can't afford one and I have reservations about things like wing nuts which are easily lost on a woodland floor, but it's getting the juices flowing for my MkII version!! :D The roll up chimney is a great idea.

The stove is 650g at the mo, doubling that weight will provide a much bigger stove with a larger firebox and if I can find a source for 0.004 tempered stainless foil a chimney too!

Scoops

I've not forgot this chimney material quest.
A link I found following up someone else's wood burning stove links on the forum.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

Might do the job, can't tell from the site but it could even be the stuff they use for their roll up chimneys.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I've not forgot this chimney material quest.

Corr, that looks just the job Glen! :You_Rock_

Now if it was only a bit cheaper ;)

Been a bit quiet on the stove building of late, but I was out using mine last w/e and the ideas are still coming. Really trying to get a handle on what can and can't be usefully done with a fire of the size we can build in such a compact stove.

Scoops

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
can you please tell me what the bit marked red is for

b0dere2.jpg

and how do you get these images to come up?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry to drag an old thread out but I'm giving this one a go over winter. Got myself a nice big shiney sheet of stainless to play with, I just need to get some more files and discs for the dremel.

I take it you don't mind me having a bash scoops ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Scoops

I should be able to get most of it done in the college workshop where the wife works. All sorts of toys there to hopefully make life a bit easier. I'll try and do the bulk of it there and then finish the filing at home.

Did you ever sort out the square section chimney ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My evolutions moved away from the mini-stove and back more towards a firebox so the chimney's never really saw much development. Certainly a chimney does make it draw better.

Scoops

A firebox for canoe trips was my first thought and then I came across your nimblewell. I've got a sheet of 600x600mm stainless to come up with something anyway, maybe something in between.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Scoops I've had an answer from Shewie on another thread :-
I'm having a crack at a large nimblewell over winter too Danny, it'll be useful to see your pics as they progress. Probably at a much faster rate than mine :)
So wondered if it's OK to post in this one ?
Just to get the feel I've started with the plans from Zen Stoves for the
Nimblewill Nomad's Wood Burning Stove this one doesn't have the fire grate plate but I'm using some some 4 1/2" wide x 1/16" thick x 4' mild steel off cuts I've had given. I printed the plans out on thin card for a model and to use as templates to felt tip round on the steel. 5" wide would have been better but seen as it's only a trial I made the steel pan cut outs shallower. I cut the first one out this morning while waiting for the rain to stop using a hacksaw then drilled three small holes at the top of the slots to fit a broken hacksaw blade sharpened to a point that as it fits in I cut down to the bottom of the slot, then widened them and cleaned them up with a Swiss file. Managed one end before I set of on a Teddy Tour.
nimberwell1.jpg

This one should give me a feel and if Shewie posts his results as well I might try your plans in Stainless steel as well ----- cheers Danny

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
This is fascinating. I only found the plans the other day and decided to have a go at one myself. Now that I want to share my experience I find I should have done a little reading before getting my hands dirty. I didn't buy steel, so just used what I had. You guys seem to have done far more professional work than me. Mine will get the job done, but is far from anywhere as good as yours.

goodjob

Here's a link to mine in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2bT_EizJw8. The youtube description also includes my notes:

Nimblewill Nomad's Little Dandy Wood Stove

Source of the plans and the idea: http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

Measurements
============
Flat packed: 8mm x 115mm x 160mm
Weight: Under 800 grams / 1lb 12oz (not a digital scale, only accurate to about 50g).
Floor area inside: 95mm x 133mm
Overall height: 113mm
Height of floor above ground: 20mm
Height from floor to top: 90mm

Notes
=====
I would expect this to be considerably lighter when made from thinner steel. I like things strong, and it's what I had available. I would imagine the sides of an old computer case would be easier to work and lighter, but I would burn the parts in an out door fire to remove any paint or other finishes on it.

More attention to detail and making both sides the same would make assembly quicker and easier. Mine fits both ways, but only fits well one way.

I goofed and cut the slot for the front left slot from the bottom when it should have been from the top. I managed to cut a shallow slot from the top but the cut from the bottom will always be there now.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
fleabay has A4 sized (200/300) sheets of stainless going at £3-£4 a sheet, i reckon you could just about squeeze these patterns into 4 sheets

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
i know theres a lot of fun to be had in making your own stuff, but you can't really beat these for price. well i can't anyway as in order to make it myself i'd have to buy all sorts of tools i can't afford.

http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/fireboxes.htm

Yeah, true enough. But if you buy the tools you always have them and then you can make many other things as well - continually saving you money as well as the satisfaction at having made things for yourself. After a short time the tools have paid for themselves. For example, a cheap grinder/cutter can be bought for LESS than £20 (the price of one of the stoves your link leads to!). And sheet stainless steel can be got for NOTHING at a local sheet metal worker (I know because I got some off cuts for free!).
I made a Nimblewill stove some time ago now and the only cost for it was about £5, for the cutting discs. OK, I already had the Dremel, but as I've said, you can buy Dremel-clones for not much and you always have them and they are always useful.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I've just ordered some stainless steel to make one of these from a local engineering company.

The width of the front is the same as the height:rolleyes:(sizes taken from printed templates) so have asked for a strip 700mm x 120mm for the side, another 420mm x 160mm for the inner plates in 1mm and one 130mm x 160mm in 1.5mm for the grate = Total cost £15.

Hopefully this will give me some nice straight edges to work from. I'll post my results when I get it done.

Cheers

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE