Modified Nimbewill Wood Stove - Part 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
if the chimny was made a bit more subsantial, three h shaped strips of metal, and put a small wok on top of the chimny, might be worth trying out with a tin can and some coat hanger wire perhaps?

looks good in any case
steve

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Wildrover,

I'm going to stick with the same thickness for the larger version, I might opt for interlocking tabs on the top and bottom plates that connect to the sides in the same way as the back currently does to prevent warping, although it only seems to be a problem when you stuff it full and give it loads of air and a chimney :D

stevec,

I love the wok idea :lmao: stir fry anyone?

I can see I'm gonna have to get the CAD going again, although for the next one I'm going to try and get the parts cut. I have a mate whose an engineer and knows someone...

Scoops

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
the reason why i suggested a few pot stands on the chimny was that quite a while ago, i was round a mates house who had a chimnina(sp) and it wasn't doing too much in the way of heat or flames, so i suggested that we took the "hat" off the top of the chimny, the flames were about 4-5ft high, so i figured that with a long handled frying pan some good cooking could be done. having seen the difference the chinmy made to the flames on your stove, i fugured the same would apply quite nicely.

steve

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi Steve,

The problem with cooking on the chimney is that it really isn't that sturdy and as the top plate is loose even if the chimney was fixed in place I think the weight of the pan plust the chimney acting as a lever could be a bit to tippy.

Interesting to hear of the effect of the chimney cap though. I was going to add a mesh cap (car body repair aluminium mesh) to the chimney to stop sparks emerging as a precaution for tent /dry woodland use but now I'm pondering having that plus some sort of air flow regulation. Hmmmm.

Scoops

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Hi mate, i should point out that the mesh in the "hat" was very blocked with soot. i don't suppose putting mesh over the chimny will be a problem as long as you make sure it doesn't get clogged up.

best regards
steve

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
That's sort of why I was thinking of using a mesh hat rather than putting it somewhere less accessible. The other option was a slotting it in partway up the chimney but I had all sorts of issues about chimney strength and slotting things into cylinders without cutting halfway through the cylinder etc...

Have decided to make a firebox next as I want to experiment with different fire sizes to figure out how much bigger I need to make the next stove.

Scoops

P

Paul Holtom

Any updates on the stove, have just started one of my own and was wondering if the height adjustable grate is worth the effort.

Great design by the way, it really goes together well and certainly looks the part.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi Paul,

I'm still pondering the next incarnation.

The changes I think are most likely are...

Making the stove larger probably going just over 1kg overall weight. (It's about 0.6kg as it stands). This is to reduce the frequency of refuelling.

Changing the connection between the sides and the grate and base so that they interlock with eachother (like the sides do with the back plate). To reduce the potential for the sides to warp away from the grate and base when hot.

I think as a backpacking stove the existing version is just fine. With my planned design I am leaning more towards a tipi stove which has the function of space heating and slow fuel consumption as priorities ahead of boiling a pot of water.

Good luck and please share any lessons you learn :D

Scoops

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Scoops,

For the larger version are you going to go more square or keep it rectangular?

I would think rectangular would be better for the chimney but if you go square you could possibly use pieces from your existing design.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi Stew,

The proportions will probably remain much the same. The chimney is still the bit of the design that's keeping me pondering the most. Chimney's really should be circular to work well for minimum diameter, I just can't decide how best to connect the tube to the box.

Scoops

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
scoops_uk said:
Hi Stew,

The proportions will probably remain much the same. The chimney is still the bit of the design that's keeping me pondering the most. Chimney's really should be circular to work well for minimum diameter, I just can't decide how best to connect the tube to the box.

Scoops

I guess space is an issue with a cylindrial chimney as it won't pack down.

What I would try is have 3 tabs at the base of the chimney that stick out at 90 degrees and on the lid of the stove have 3 slots for them to rotate into. For the slots, cut an L shape then bend it slightly so it's raised - the chimney tabs would need to stick out past the slot tab.

Does that make sense?

Would a hexagonl chimeny be too muh hassle?

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Stew said:
I guess space is an issue with a cylindrial chimney as it won't pack down.

no, not really - if you think about

- using the chimney as a "storage container"

and / or

- the Caldera Cone meth. stove windshield - it´s just a flat piece of sheet metal.
Only thing I don´t like about it that I didn´t get idea myself ....

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
cyclist said:
- using the chimney as a "storage container"

I did think about that but thought it wouldn't be big enough to store stove part in and wouldn't want to put other stuff in there.

cyclist said:
- the Caldera Cone meth. stove windshield - it´s just a flat piece of sheet metal.

Now that is a superb idea! If the material is thin enough it'll roll fine and store inbetween the parts of the stove when flat packed.

cyclist said:
Only thing I don´t like about it that I didn´t get idea myself ....

but you probably would have. An update to the Nimblewell that I had thought of was to put arches in the bottom of the sides to reduce weight yet Scoops beat me into putting it into practice. Great minds and all that....

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Stew said:
An update to the Nimblewell that I had thought of was to put arches in the bottom of the sides to reduce weight yet Scoops beat me into putting it into practice. Great minds and all that....

Means the stove sits on uneven ground much better too :D

Although my leave no trace aspirations probably mean the next version will be raised higher on some sort of stilts/spikes. As it stands at the moment if used on grass you do get a scorched patch.

I like your twist to lock chimney idea Stew, I think I'm going to have a play with that.

Cheers,

Scoops (smelling like a kipper coz I've just got back from playing out :D )

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
maybe a 2 (or even 3) piece twist lock chimney - the longer the chimney the better the exhaust gas flow and the better the combustion air flow intake

maybe cooking on top of the chimney

maybe designing the chimney parts to fit around a water bottle - accepting the contamination of the water bottles walls but having the spout clean

maybe ....

you see - it´s lots & lots of ideas in a simple wood burning stove :D

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
probably its a bit narrow on the Nimblewill Stove for both pan and kettle. But again this might be an idea to work on: hot water and preparing food at the same time
Using the Kelly Kettle as a chimney isn´t such a good idea. Never ever use a KK (or its cousins from the giant Volcano family) without water in it - the aluminum will melt in no time

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
A lot of stoves have a water tank which fits to the side of the stove, with a tap. Which gives a reserve of hot water, as long as the tank is kept topped up and the stove burning, whenever it is needed.

Have a look here

Just need to find a suitable rectangular tank that can be hooked tightly against the side of the stove to heat up whilst cooking on top.

Start looking round your everyday objects there must be a ready made tank waiting to be discovered somewhere! :D

Scoops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE