Modern clothing vs old-a viking experiment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
I still find Barbour waxed jackets to be the best thing to wear in the woods, especially if your working around brambles. Can be a bit cold and prone to condensation, but the optional liner sorts that out. I do have a couple of Paramo jackets that I wear when out walking (including the couple of miles walk or cycle to work every day), but if im working in the woods it tends to be waxed cotton in bad weather.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Oops. Missed off a bit. Fixed it now.

Apparently the method was to cut around the neck of the seal and peel the skin off in one piece. This was supposed to produce a seamless hide bag but I guess the flippers would need something doing to them.

I do have a seal skin (Harp seal) and it is pretty water resistant but it's a modern tanned hide, too small and opened out so it wouldn't really be a true test.

Walrus hide would be great though as it's much thicker.

Rod

On a new journey
Sorry, joining this one a little late...

Have been reading a biopic on Amundsen & Scott. Really interesting - Amundsen's prep in particular. He spent huge amounts of time testing traditional materials (reindeer skins/hickory for skis & sledges) and methods (greenland husky teams) for cold weather travel. Amundsen spent a lot of time learing from Nansen the Norwegian Polar explorer. All seem to have thrown out technology, as it were, and gone back to less engineered kit and relied on native skills and methods.

If its of any interest/help. I have found a Barbour/Swanni combo works well in cold wet conditions :) : though my Gerry Winter Parka with liner is the cats pyjamas for cold dry conditions :D . Gore-tex - pah!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE