Modded Hex fly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 16, 2007
I was haveing a right nightmare witha ridge line on the hwx and could not get it to sit right.
Plus the tie outs on the corners were plastic rings sewn to the hem that came loose in the wind so needed replacing so this is what I have done.

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

This is loads better now and it makes it my No1 tarp to use.

Didnt need it for this mid ride break.
DSC00333.jpg

Enjoy the days.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice mods swampy

I sold my Hex on before I got round to using it so I never tested it in anger.

Have you got prusics on your ridgeline ? I couldn't tell from that top pic

Dec 16, 2007
Yes prusics on the ends. It was because of that without the ridge line loops that the Fly flapped a lot and would not sit right in the wind. Now no probs and the fly all folded up sits nice in the top pocket of a patrol pack just for when you need it.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Fanastic! Now that you've done it, you have to share the details of how you did it. Any backing material on the underside of the tarp? What stitch pattern did you use - bar tack or just a box and "x" pattern? Length of the ridge line guy outs?

I've been wanting to do this to a tarp of mine to make it just a little easier to set up and pack away. Work's been a pain recently but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel soon and want to get things ready for an upcoming trip.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I had the same problem with losing the rings on my hex in the wind. What tape did you use and how did you stitch it in, hand or machine.

Cheers
Nick

Dec 16, 2007
Right just a quick brief. There is no backing on the tapes and after a hose pipe test no water came through so it should be ok in a down pour. I just folded the tarp in half a guestimated the locations for the tapes. It was done on the wifes machine and I boxed and 'X' stiched them all then ziggid zagged the length. The tape is an old utility strap I found in my green cupboard.the lenght of paracord on the pullouts is 2.5m and 10m for the ridge line. Hope that helps.

PS i am no seamstress but if I can do it any monkey can.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Well, I won't challenge your claim that a monkey could do it, and that may be true but you haven't seen my sewing skills !! :)

I think I'll try to bribe the wife with some trinket and have her do it up right for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE