modded CS riflemans hawk

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
got this the other day of a BCUK member i found it a little bit too heavy weighing as much as my cegga axe. as i wanted it for back packing i dedcided to try and lighten it abit. so far ive filled a whole ounce of it!

before i started:

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

during:

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

when doing the work make sure when you remove the grub screw that there is not another one deeper inside the ehad. i found this out after trying to drive the shaft out of the head that there was still another grub screw in there! hence the deep groove in the shaft.

after:

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

the hammer poll has been rounded the strange lump along the top edge has been removed aswell as the painted finish. thanks for looking
rob

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Well done buddy, looks nice! I bet it chops like a beast.

I've got a trail hawk coming in the post sometime this week and I'm very excited about lightly modding it and taing out for a tester.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks. I think the trail hawk would of been the better choice for what i wanted it for, but this is proving to be fun, & i think it will be an on going project.

Rob

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well i've done some more filing(photo's to follow)& i think i've ballsed it up, by taking to much off, ah well, i've now got a spare tomahawk handle..

Rob

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I doubt it's unsalvagable from some over enthusiastic filing buddy, so don't loose hope.

keep the updates going though and if there is a problem I'm sure something can be figured out! my trail hawk came yesterday ;)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I doubt it's unsalvagable from some over enthusiastic filing buddy, so don't loose hope.

keep the updates going though and if there is a problem I'm sure something can be figured out! my trail hawk came yesterday ;)

Thanks for your confidence, are you going to do any mods(careful with the filing !) ?

Rob

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for your confidence, are you going to do any mods(careful with the filing !) ?

Rob

Not too sure how far I'll go but so far I've put a better more convexed edge on it and I think the balance is a bit off with the 22inche handle so might cut it down by 3 or 4 inches.

I've also got some spray on paint stripper that I was going to use..but I actually like the dark paint so not decided yet.
Also I'm going to round off the front of the handle too as it feels a bit odd in the hand.

Get some pic's of yours on though and I'm sure we can help you sort out any problems!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
heres the mods that ive done i think ive filed too much off i should have left the top edge alone. what do you think?

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

all comments much appreciated

rob

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Rob,

That looks good mate, are you going to put a sealer on it something like rifle blue or brown . Looking at what you have done i might have to get a coldsteel hawk.

Cheers Andy

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You've taken a bit of weight off but aslong as it it still chops alright and you don't mind it i think theres nothing wrong with it, I'd say it's unique!

Keep at it though, get a patina on, some wood stain and get it used and you'll soon see what you would like to change about it to make it function more to your liking.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Polished it up first using a flap wheel on a drill to remove the casting marks before the vinegar etch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE