MOD Issue Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Ranger bands are wide, thick rubber bands, kinda similar to bits of inner tube.

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
I'm still amazed that some people actually pay money for "Ranger Bands." :roll: I walked into a bike shop last summer and asked for an old inner tube. The guy looked at me funny, but offered as many as I wanted.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
I had one of these knives issued to me in the RAF

I sharpened it , smoothed the splinters off the handle and made it really nice

Of course someone pinched it off me but never mind eh :twisted:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Like everything has an intended use, this knife is designed to be an all rounder although I carry one of these as well as a four inch bladed knife, as I have enough common sense to realise that the mod knife is more suited to heavy work including digging holes, and for the finer work the smaller knife is better suited.
The mod knife has a very good quality high carbon steel blade of which sharpens beautifully if you use a corse diamond card first and then a 800 grit waterstone gives a very useable edge, if however like me you are a sharpening nut you could finnish off with a 6000 grit waterstone and have a finish that you can shave with.
There are now two versions of this knife the original wooden handled one and the new black fibre version, other than the handles there is no differance other than the price the latter is approx £10 dearer.
The best place to locate these is via the manufacturer based in shefield there web address is www.sheffieldknives.co.uk
I find this knife a great asset, and so should you providing that you dont try to use it beond its limitations, and for the price you cant beat it, I bought mine second hand at a militaria fair for £10 and as far as robustness with a blade 7" x 2" x 1/4" thick it makes a bloomin good pry bar, the only thing that I have done to mine is to whip the handle with para cord as the riveted handle can be uncomfortable for prolonged use.
I hope that this response is of use to you, if you need any more info let me know.
images.php

images.php

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Nice looking kit ... and a well used looking firesteel! :-D
Great setup!

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Silly question.... The lanyard that's attatched to the knife, I've seen it before on other blades, sometimes even more elaborately done.

Know I know they teach kids to do things like that in primary school these days, but how is it done? Is there a web page somewhere with an idiots guide?

Nick in Belfast

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Its actually called a chain knot or a drum knot.
I have looked for the destruction on how to tie it but no luck as yet if I find a site that covers it I will post it for you.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Thats the bugger.
Create a loop, then pull the cord through the loop and just keep repeating,
if you have got it right when you pull both loose ends it should untie. :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE