Mobile phone pouch quandary...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Lost my phone the other weekend (the likelihood it fell out of my pocket whilst using my rucksack as a sledge to get down from Kinder Scout is high, however this is not what I told my insurance broker...)
All sorted now, however I'm looking into alternative methods of storing it whilst out and about (not just whilst hiking, but general day to day usage too)- I like the idea of the Maxpedition Barnacle (build quality, design etc), but I'll likely be mounting it on the shoulder straps of a rucksack (easy access, plug in earphones) or maybe my belt but I don't think that the Molle backing on the Barnacle allows this easily without some kind of 3rd party device (willing to be proven wrong!).

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Get a cheap PAYG phone for when you're out hiking - bombproof and with better battery life than the top of the range phones, it also serves as an emergency phone for in the car. Put £20 on it then forget about it. Then wear it around your neck on a lanyard tucked down your top.

Dreadhead

Leather belt pouch? i made this wee pouch for SWMBO when shes at work can fit most belts, rucksack straps etc

39538010151229746840444.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-02-07

Hamish

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Leave your phone at home or in the car. Problem solved.

Oh how that would be nice but in a moment of daftness it may save your life. That and i like to be contactable if my family needs me.
What ever your solution its best kept near to your body where its warm or you battery wont last five minutes ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cheap case of ebay and rig and a hanger round your neck. Have to disagree about leaving it at home, these days a phone is as much a piece of emergency kit as a whistle in my opinion.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Leave your phone at home or in the car. Problem solved.
Hmm, yeah. Thanks for that :-/ This would be for daily use too.

How big is the phone ? I have some great waterproof cases....
samsung%2B_ace.jpg

Leather belt pouch? i made this wee pouch for SWMBO when shes at work can fit most belts, rucksack straps etc
That's very nice - got a picture of the mountings for the back? How would it go about about switching from a vertical strap (rucksack) to a horizontal (belt) whilst keeping the opening at the top?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If you've got a vertical belt loop on your pouch then all you need is a short piece of webbing with a ladderlock buckle on one end, which can then be thread through the belt loop & vertical webbing of a rucksack shoulder strap, pulled tight & voila ! ...easy to remove if you wanna put it elsewhere.........
Go on say it, " my shoulder straps don't have webbing running down them " :rolleyes:

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
If you've got a vertical belt loop on your pouch then all you need is a short piece of webbing with a ladderlock buckle on one end, which can then be thread through the belt loop & vertical webbing of a rucksack shoulder strap, pulled tight & voila ! ...easy to remove if you wanna put it elsewhere.........
Go on say it, " my shoulder straps don't have webbing running down them " :rolleyes:
Oooo, that may indeed be the tip of the day!:beerchug:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd like a case to put a compact camera in, on the rucksack strap too so I'll be watching this one.

All the usual stuff is for a belt so the loop is the wrong way round

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Berghaus e-case or something names like that. It has a zip that goes around the top and down each side a good way with a spring in it so it springs open without dropping its contents. It has d-rings and a neat clip arrangement that can clip onto vertical and horizontal straps, belts or tapes. That clip is very secure according to people I have come across who use this. Also available in a variety of sizes.

One big drawback, which was why I didn't get one, is the shape and size of them. None of them fit my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone. They are mostly too small due to the rounded top or just being too small. They are good for most compacts though but the galaxy S2 seems to be an awkward shape for them for some reason. Is that a galaxy S2 there Calibanzwei?? If so cracking phone but have you had a few forced closures of apps or even the social hub?? It is annoying and only cured with a shutdown for me. A case of the old IT shout of "have you tried turning it off and on again?"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE