Foraging pouch( pic heavy )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, well this is a new one for me as i never come into the kit chatter section, but i suppose there's a first for everything. Anyway why am i posting, oh yeah, i remember now, so, well, when i am out camping or out for a wander around, i take a Mosquito head net with me as a foraging bag, but when not in use i tie it on to the shoulder strap of my rucksack, using the cordage from the pouch that comes with said net, but it swings around and rustles, which is no good for close quarter observation of large animals such as Deer, when you want stealth and quiet. So long story short, i saw a chap on YouTube who had a Maxpedition rucksack and was using it whilst camping, but the thing that caught my attention was a side pouch, which was on the hip belt, so with the help from Google, i found out the pouches were dump pouches, called Rollypoly's, but the sting in the tail was the cost, now i know people will say"you only get what you pay for" and that's fine, but for me i couldn't justify shelling out cash. So with that in mind, i remembered i had an old army duffle bag in the loft, which was given to me by someone many moons ago, well there was nothing left for it but to get out the wife's sewing machine and last Friday became sewing pouch day. So after a lot of problem solving, pinning, and some colourful language, i think i managed to pull it off.

The folding dump pouch for foraging. PS i ain't no seamstress, so please be gentle :eek:

Folded.

Please forgive the use of the ugly model. :rolleyes:

Well this should eliminate movement and sound, and is just the very thing i have been looking for, it will be good for collecting tinder also, as i dislike stuffing tinder into the cargo pockets on my Greens, because i find it hinders my comfort whilst walking, so a win win, me thinks.

Thank you for your patience.
Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy :) and that'll do nicely :cool:

Somewhere I have OD green velcro if you're intending to make more. (wait and see, I'll not be able to find it now :eek:)

atb,
M

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Nice job Stuart , does exactly what it says it's gonna do without any fuss and a dam sight cheaper .
The model ain't that bad , you been working out ? :)

Craig. ...

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Oh that's very kind of you Mary, white velcro was all the wife had, so that did the job, make do and mend, and all that. I am laughing though, at the thought of making another, if you had seen and heard me, arguing with the sewing machine, you would say to yourself, i bet he is not going to attempt another one of those anytime soon ;).

Thanks again.
Cheers Stuart.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Nice job Stuart , does exactly what it says it's gonna do without any fuss and a dam sight cheaper .
The model ain't that bad , you been working out ? :)

Craig. ...

Hey Craig, thank you, you old romancer, you know how to sweet talk us, but to answer your question, have i been working out? WELL, lets put it this way, NO. lol
The only part of my body that has been in training is my drinking arm, gearing up for Wooplaw at the end of the month.:beerchug:

Cheers Stuart.

Mar 27, 2012
Brisbane AU
My what a mighty fine dump pouch, & big too.....:p Great work mate.

If you get adventurous you could add a draw string & cordloc or similar so the pouch can be closed somewhat.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like those and think they're a great idea. Certainly a lot better than the pocketfull of little green dog poo bags I keep in the jacket at the moment. (though they are handy).
Especially at this time of year when there's so much waiting to be harvested.
Cracking work Stuart.
ATB,
GB.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, many thanks for the kind comments, i'm glad some folks will find these things handy, an idea shared and all that.

i like that idea- if i come across some suitable material (and have enough time as well...) i might make one to attach to my tool belt... . how does yours attach to the belt?! and what are (roughly) the dimensions?!

Hi fd, heres a couple of pics of the back of the folded pouch, i just sewed on 2 loops for the hip belt webbing to be able to pass through. The measurements are, 31x26x10cm. I hope this is of help to you.

My what a mighty fine dump pouch, & big too.....:p Great work mate.

If you get adventurous you could add a draw string & cordloc or similar so the pouch can be closed somewhat.

Hi Benny, great minds think alike lol, i had already thought of that, thanks, if you look at the second ugly model pic, you can see the draw cord hanging down from the pouch, which allows it to pinch at the top sealing your foragables inside.

Many thanks again.
Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE