Mobile/cell phones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
In the 24 hours when there was decent weather over the Bank Holiday, I managed to get out. I won't bore you with the details here (you can read more on my blog) but I'm delighted to inform you all that I am officially a "tree dweller" using my DD hammock for the first time and loved it :D

The point of this thread is that I did have a minor slip and fall in the dark (my own fault for not using white light) and this got me thinking about poor Wayne's wife's accident.

Not many people mention mobile phones in their kit lists, but do you consider mobile/cell phones essential Bushcraft equipment or would you rely solely on "survival kits" and FAKs? Who takes a phone as a matter of course and what are your thoughts on this?

Pablo

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I take a phone as a matter of course, but I tend to keep it switched off. It's certainly one of the most useful items of emergency equipment you can have.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Pablo,

I usually take my mobile with me - if I am away for a stroll I hardly ever use it, but it's there for emergencies if needed. If I am away for a few days I have a regular check in time, once or twice a day, arranged with my wife, this helps conserve battery power. If she does not hear from me at the appointed time she waits for an hour or so - just incase I'm in a poor receiption area - and then takes the necessary action to establish whats up. I always leave a route plan with camps shown and if required she can send the cavalry - her brother or the mountain rescue team - to my expected location.
I have been lucky in that we have never had to execute this plan.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

JFW

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
As has been discussed a few times before definately a bonus to have in the case of an emergency. But just remember you may not get a signal in some remote areas, and in cold weather the battery drains very quickly so don't rely totally on them. If you have an emergency situation and you're not in a signal area you need to have another back up plan to save the day. I'd say it's as simple as that. And as has been discussed before many times, the same pretty much goes for GPS.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I can't remenber the source for this, but from what I understand sometimes the person you have called on a mobile can hear you, even if you can't here them. So it's still worth passing a message, just make sure it is clear and accurate as you will not hear a request to clarify details. This assumes that the other person picks up in the first place.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
999 calls on a mobile are carried on any networks signal. therefore even if your network shows no signal. Say your with 3 and you dial 999 the call will be rooted via vodaphone aparently.

I have not tested it. Also some amublance services accept text messages these days.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Another point worth mentioning is that often an SMS (text message) will get through where the signal isn't strong enough to support a voice call.

JayKay

Hi there,

A couple of weeks ago I went to Sweden with a friend for a week Bushcrafting, and I did take my cell phone along. It was on 24/7, but half way the week I noticed I still had Bluetooth on which influenced battery life.....

Just a little tip for those who have a BT headset in the car...

Kind regards,

Jeroen Keultjes

Mar 30, 2006
cleveland
i bought a small solar pannel charging device that i carry, you can charge mobile phones and other devices. it can clip onto your belt/bag to soak up the rays and has internal battery to store the charge.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
My mobile has become part of my EDC just like a SAK. I don't go anywhere without it.

Mine is a water resistant and shockproof model as the last thing I want is to fall and break my phone when I need it most. Or to be trying to call the emergency services in the rain to have it die on me. (Ever dropped a mobile and watched the battery go flying?)

I used to watch "999" quite often many years ago and the amount of people who were rescued because they had a mobile phone or somebody with one found them was phenomenal. This was in the days when they were still analogue and expensive but I knew I had to get one.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Wayne said:
999 calls on a mobile are carried on any networks signal. therefore even if your network shows no signal. Say your with 3 and you dial 999 the call will be rooted via vodaphone aparently.

I have not tested it. Also some amublance services accept text messages these days.
Didn't know that............Cheers Wayne.................Jon
rk01accendiamounfuoco2xd.gif

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leroy said:
i bought a small solar pannel charging device that i carry, you can charge mobile phones and other devices. it can clip onto your belt/bag to soak up the rays and has internal battery to store the charge.
Have you got a link to that charger hilltop?

Ta - Red

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I always carry a phone (whether I am out in the woods or not). I picked up a pay as you go phone for 20 pounds last year, and it lives in my pack.

I wouldn't rely on it (or anything else battery powered), and would always take a whistle and a mirror.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As with many people my mobile is also my camera (and it even has a couple of white LEDs for use as a torch if needed) so it's always on me anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE