Mobile/cell phones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Odie

Sep 23, 2004
Essex, UK
Nowadays most land lines (BT anyways) will accept SMS text messages and will dictate them to the receiver.

I always take my phone but turn it off. I check in with the missus by text once a day so she knows I'm still alive and cant cash in the insurance yet.

Voice uses high bandwidth and a lot of power, text uses significantly less bandwith and power. Sometimes, even if I have no reception, a text will squirt through where a voice call was impossible.

Also, if you are lost it is possible fof rescue services to triangulate you position to within a pretty good radius provided you are covered by sufficient receivers.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Suppose if I am really being posh with it my phone even sends morse code SOS from the camera LEDs as theres an SOS setting on it.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
My mobile phone just died because of a little bit of water going into it.

Now I was wondering if there's maybe a small device on the market to send and recieve SMS messages only, and which is completely water proof and reasonably shock resistant ?

Why only sms, well because I don't have money for calling anyway...

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Dont own one, hate the bloody things.
I took a mate to spend a night bushcrafting. It was a beautiful spring evening, open fire, excellent bushtucker and a fine scotch............you know whats coming.
His mobile phone goes off. He then spends the next twenty minutes talking to his wife (who he had only left a few hours ago) telling her all about the beautiful spring evening, open fire, excellent bushtucker and the fine scotch!
If I'd had a gun, I swear I would have shot him dead on the spot.
For me, mobile phones are the scurge of the countryside....when I go into the countryside my aim is escape modern life and all the stress that goes with it. I cant understand anyone who thinks that draging probably the most intrusive bit
of technology into the wilderness is a good thing. Go on, you can do it, liberate yourselves and refuse to be enslaved.

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Coming from the land of mobile phones, where even six-year olds use them like a breathing reflex... :rolleyes:

Two batteries, fully loaded...packed in a ziplock bag or the equivalent...

Trade PIN and PUK codes with your mates...know where your phones are and how to use them...

Agree NOT to use them unless it is you that is calling...(you have therefore briefed all relevant parties you are out of reach)...

Then FORGET THEM. Otherwise it is like farting during sex.

Marko

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
falling rain said:
. But just remember you may not get a signal in some remote areas, and in cold weather the battery drains very quickly so don't rely totally on them.

They are worth trying even in the remotest area.

Three years ago I was situationally challenged :eek: in the Belalong area of Temburong in Brunei. I won't go into the highly embarrassing details here but there were no villages or roads for many miles only the RGS field station (which I was trying to get to) and a Forestry centre both of which communicated then by radio as there was no phone coverage.

I was on a high ridge which in places enabled me to see over Malaysia to Brunei on the other side and although there has been not coverage for 3 days I switched the phone on and was able to get 5 bar reception.

Amazed I called my office and told them the situation. "Rescued" 4 hours later and owing a case of beer!

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
I carry mine as a matter of course. I never leave home without it when I'm of into the woods or the hills. As I do a lot of mountain biking, the risk of an injury is very high, and around on the quantocks where live, reception is very good (I'm on O2). I arrange a time with my parents when I'm going to be back, and ring in if I cant make it. It is also useful to be in contact wiht friends who are on there bikes and might speed of ahead ( :rolleyes: )
I have whistles and other safety bits in all my jackets, but I personally think that a mobile is a lifesaver, and that you would have to have a very good reason or be very dim not to carry one. My parents both have them in their cars, and whislt they are never turned on, they have gotten them out of some sticky situations. It's your choice, but at the end of the day, is it really worth the risk of not carrying one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE