Mob Fiery Brand!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Inspired by a few other threads I've just made a torch as its something I've always wanted ever since being a student playing D&D back in the 80s... ;-{D)

I'd picked up a can of Stockholm Tar and had some of the dirt cheap cotton sashcord/rope left over from another project.

MobTorch1.jpg

I was too lazy to go up the garden to the wood pile so I used a couple of foot of broom handle left over from making one of the lads a shield.

In the end I used 5 rows of tacks to hold it on (staples would have been a better) and ended up with this.

MobTorch2.jpg

I then melted (outside with due care) 3 ounces or so of beeswax and stirred in the tar untill it was very runny and could be brushed onto the cord which soaked it up nicely. As it cooled I smeared the hardeniing goo on so not as to waste any.

MobTorch3.jpg

The wax in theory should make the tar dry a bit better, and bulked it out.

I appreciate there is limited scope for its use and it will drip fire like bugg*ry so i will have to use it held at 45degrees and over a non flamable surface but it got it out of my system.

Now to wait for the next mob heading up to the spooky castle, or around here, the next witch trial!

ATB

Tom

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I think you should offer this to JonathanD for his next werewolf hunting trip to Devils Den!

Excellent work by the way - I especially like the way you were not put off by it's almost total impracticality!

Z

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It may get lit sooner than I thought as it doesn't seem to be drying out at all and the idea of having a big sticky ball of tar hanging round me shed is looking more and more like a bad idea as we head towards the morrow and herself seeing what i've been up to.

Perhaps a quiet bit of sewing would have been better...

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE