MLD Trailstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I'll try this one
1011672_655966687775380_1597718013_n.jpg
1002134_655966741108708_316828483_n.jpg

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Tip: reduce the angle on the 'door' guy and you'll get a tauter pitch e.g. reduce the height of the pole or move it away from the 'door'

Thanks Whiteburn, I took the pictures before trying to get in and out, moved the pole rearwards and 'accidentally' discovered it not only improved access but as you say improved the tension. I've also used your idea for the guyline set up, I just need to get a linelok for the door guy, I used a taughtline hitch but it's too fiddly especially if you have cold hands. Also I think I'll try a slightly lower pitch, as using my poles set at 120cm seemed to end up with a large ventilation gap at the bottom. Like most things it probably comes down to practice and experimentation to get the pitch just right, I may try pitching a corner out as a door and see how that looks tonight if the weathers ok. I also added the loop to the middle tie out as per your idea for taking it down in wild weather, it could potentially add another couple of guying points for really atrocious weather.

I find 120cm good for use with a nest in summer, my most routine pitch is 110cm.

Good luck with the seam sealing, I followed Martin's advice and thinned down the sealant with white spirits and used a small disposable brush with the bristles cut down to about 1/2", no masking, worked great.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I find 120cm good for use with a nest in summer, my most routine pitch is 110cm.

Good luck with the seam sealing, I followed Martin's advice and thinned down the sealant with white spirits and used a small disposable brush with the bristles cut down to about 1/2", no masking, worked great.

Ok thanks for that advice re the brush, I need to find a suitable brush to cut down and some clear weather to do it in. I may, as Shewie suggested hang it up in the garage and do it there with the seams pulled taught. I'm certainly going to experiment with different height pitches to.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Yup, the very same, got inquisitive at the traffic to my blog from BCUK.

The BearPaws Pyranet is OK, I got the Trailstar mods and 10" solid walls (to cut down the drafts) weigh is around 440g including tie outs. It's probably not as good as the Oookworks as it can be a bit of a faff get the tension 'right' so the bathtub floor sits up. Upside it is quite reasonably priced especially if you don't get hit with customs and delivery is normally 2 - 3 weeks.

I think if I was buying again, without any time constraints, I'd look to a custom Oookworks nest smaller than their Trailstar model, something like the Nano with 30cm high solid walls. Although saying that I mostly just use a bivi, I'll probably decide nest or bivi the day before TGOC 14, may see you on the trail.

I've got a custom Oookworks inner for mine, chikara floor, half cuben/half mesh walls. The quality on it is superb, very pleased with it, though like you say, I mostly use my bivy or home made bathtub floor.

I was interested in your BearPaw inner as there's one on the site that looks like it might do as a 2 man inner for the Trailstar & for the the Duomid.

Read your latest post today, another good post. Thought I'd add a link to it here as it might be worth a read for Headshed, hopefully see you on the challenge at some point :)

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have a couple of inners for Duomid. It came with a 2 person mesh with a neat hole in the flood for the pole (you pull a cord to tighten it around the pole- clever!) and I ordered a BearPaw one- one person half nylon half mesh for winter camping. Not really used either yet!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a couple of inners for Duomid. It came with a 2 person mesh with a neat hole in the flood for the pole (you pull a cord to tighten it around the pole- clever!) and I ordered a BearPaw one- one person half nylon half mesh for winter camping. Not really used either yet!

Want me to test your BearPaw inner for you? ;-)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I just took my Superlite bivvy Matt, the one with the full mesh hood. I've got a couple of inners for my TS but space was a premium in my CDT and I didn't want the extra bulk. It turned out the first week was cold and windy with night time temps around 0*c, bugs were none existent, the second week was positively tropical for Scotland, if I'd taken shorts I could've worn them, but still no sign of midges.

It sounds like the last year was similar, except the second week was wet and cold too. My hunch is we'll still have snow in April this year and early May will still be cool and midge free, especially in the Highlands. I heard rumours that they might be shifting it to another month, but then it's supposed to be a challenge after all.

I'm reapplying in October this year :)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Would be surprised if you need Midge protection until mid June. My Duomid leaked the first night of snow/sleet (assumed it was sealed by previous owner- oops) swapped it for my bivi bag for the rest of the trip...

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
If you wish to borrow it for the TGO that's nae probs.

Oh wow, many thanks for the offer!

I just took my Superlite bivvy Matt, the one with the full mesh hood. I've got a couple of inners for my TS but space was a premium in my CDT and I didn't want the extra bulk. It turned out the first week was cold and windy with night time temps around 0*c, bugs were none existent, the second week was positively tropical for Scotland, if I'd taken shorts I could've worn them, but still no sign of midges.

It sounds like the last year was similar, except the second week was wet and cold too. My hunch is we'll still have snow in April this year and early May will still be cool and midge free, especially in the Highlands. I heard rumours that they might be shifting it to another month, but then it's supposed to be a challenge after all.

I'm reapplying in October this year :)

Would be surprised if you need Midge protection until mid June. My Duomid leaked the first night of snow/sleet (assumed it was sealed by previous owner- oops) swapped it for my bivi bag for the rest of the trip...

Cheers for the advice, I wasn't thinking for the challenge though, more for general use. Think I've pretty much decided to go for bivy/polycryo sheet combo whichever shelter I end up taking. We'll see though, I probably won't decide until the night before!

Which inners have you got Shewie? and good news re next year, you going solo next time? I'm going to see how this one goes first before I think about next years :)

Matt

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
[QUOTE

Read your latest post today, another good post. Thought I'd add a link to it here as it might be worth a read for Headshed, hopefully see you on the challenge at some point :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Mat thanks for the link! I tend to read a few Blogs from trailstar owners, yours, shewies & I've added whiteburn to that list as well. Here's another you may or may not be aware of 'backpackingbongos', always a good read and great trip reports with his dog Reuben. At the moment I'm thinking of an alpkit Hunka bivy, for me and my son, I have an old foxhole hooped bivy, but as with many others I want to reduce pack size and weight. I thought I'd coble together a net for summer months and use the bivy's separately or in combination. If I add velcro to the hunka I could then add a mesh hood for the midges, or I may follow your route and go Borah gear, If I remember correctly, also on Sean (of Oookworks) has an interesting hooped bivy in his blog, that hopefully, when he is well enough, he may add to his main site. Anyway still need to seam seal it & get using it. My wife is threatening to hide it and wrap it & make me wait for my birthday (end of Feb), not sure I approve of that. Good luck to all the TGO applicants and walkers!

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I read his blog before and actually met him on the challenge last year (me and my mate gave home some medical advice which in retrospect was a little over-cautious). Really nice guy. James I believe his name is.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Well it happened, I had some time off yesterday & thought 'I know I'll go and seam seal the trailstar', unfortunately my wife found where I'd hidden it, taken it and wrapped it up for my birthday! I've been told divorce proceedings will ensue if I even think of touching it before then. Just typical, I order early from the states thinking delivery would be 5 weeks, it arrives in less than 2 and now my longest wait will be due to my wife. Well I know which side my bread is buttered, so wait it is!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Well it happened, I had some time off yesterday & thought 'I know I'll go and seam seal the trailstar', unfortunately my wife found where I'd hidden it, taken it and wrapped it up for my birthday! I've been told divorce proceedings will ensue if I even think of touching it before then. Just typical, I order early from the states thinking delivery would be 5 weeks, it arrives in less than 2 and now my longest wait will be due to my wife. Well I know which side my bread is buttered, so wait it is!

You poor man!

Have a look here to help you through the wait ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE