MLD Trailstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I also asked her for a couple of Alpkit Hunka's as well. I'm hoping she's forgotten about them, so that I can get a couple of Borah gear bivy's instead. Hopefully I can be lucky and avoid customs charges on those to. Matt I see from your blog you use the Borah gear bivy, how do you rate it?

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I also asked her for a couple of Alpkit Hunka's as well. I'm hoping she's forgotten about them, so that I can get a couple of Borah gear bivy's instead. Hopefully I can be lucky and avoid customs charges on those to. Matt I see from your blog you use the Borah gear bivy, how do you rate it?

Sorry mate, only just seen this reply

Yeah I've got a Borah bivy, mine's a custom one so it's slightly different to those on the Borah site but not much, I've had it over a year now and it's still going strong. I've been very pleased with it, there's a small amount of fraying on the inside but nothing to worry about. It's quite a simple flat design, there's no bath tub style floor built in which i suppose could potentially improve the protection it offers from water underneath but this hasn't been a problem as in practice the sides do kind of form a bath tub once you're in the bivy.

The one pain is the Silnylon floor, but that's the materials fault not the bivy. It's very slippery and can be a bit of a PITA if you're pitched on a bit of a slope. I've added a load of dots of silicon which has helped the mat from slipping around inside the bivy but the whole thing can slide a little if on a slope.

On a couple of of occasions I've woken to find my feet outside the Trailstar door and thick frost on top of the bivy above my feet :lmao:The M90 seems to breathe very well, condensation on the inside hasn't been a problem and the DWR is pretty good for the odd rain drop/frost but obviously not up to surviving a direct shower etc.

Do you want a bivy for bug protection or just to help protect you from the weather? If the latter I've recently spotted a new bivy similar in design to the Hunka which looks good, fully waterproof and very breathable, and is lighter than my Borah bivy. Tempted to get one myself for better weather protection under an open tarp

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If the latter I've recently spotted a new bivy similar in design to the Hunka which looks good, fully waterproof and very breathable, and is lighter than my Borah bivy. Tempted to get one myself for better weather protection under an open tarp

Spill the beans then :)

I like my MLD Superlight, at just shy of 200g I'm happy to carry that kind of weight

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Spill the beans then :)

I like my MLD Superlight, at just shy of 200g I'm happy to carry that kind of weight

I do like the look of the MLD bivy and if I'd of had the pennies it'd have probably been the one I went for... maybe with the cuben floor...

The Borah Gear one has been very good though, everything I wanted, especially for the price. The new one I spotted is here, just double checked and I was wrong about it as it's 1,000mm 'waterproof', I had it in my head it was the 20,000mm Pertex Shield+ but it's not, it's Pertex Endurance :(

I'll stick to my Borah bivy :)

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Thanks for the feedback Matt on the Borah bivy, my wife has informed me she has ordered a couple of Hunka's, (I hope that's what she meant!). I'll probably order a Sea to Summit nano mosie net, for bug season and use it on its own or with the Hunka. Maybe in the future I'll get a Borah or an Ookworks inner or Bearpawed or some such like. Not long until my birthday then I can seam seal it and go use it. It's a shame I've got to wait as I'm off to the Brecon beacons on Friday, I'll be taking my foxhole bivy plus dd tarp for me & my alpkit delta for my son. Wish I was taking the trailstar though!

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Finally got round to seam sealing it and tried out a different pitch! It's enormous under there, I'll try and post a couple of pics.
1656294_675697452468970_987952579_n.jpg

1798320_675697512468964_387204298_n.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Want one of these, why is there no UK supplier when they're clearly so popular?!

I think Ron is quite happy to make them as the orders come through, to create enough stock for a distributor then it becomes a bind and probably more work than he'd like.

Get one ordered, they're well worth the wait and the possible import tax sting

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I think there definitely worth the punt, it only took 11 days (I think) from order to delivery & I didn't get stung for tax either. I aim to sleep out in it tonight with my Alpkit Hunka XL bivy bag and skyehigh sleeping bag. Now to plan a wild camp trip and hope I fair better than last the one 2 weeks ago where for the second time this year I got blown off Pen Y Fan by horrendous wind winter weather, but that's another story!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
The more I look at these trail stars the more I'm loving them!! They look like a really nice bit of kit!! I've got a small shelter that weighs 600g, it's the apply trails 3, the only problem with it is the location of the the pole takes away a lot of usable space!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The more I look at these trail stars the more I'm loving them!! They look like a really nice bit of kit!! I've got a small shelter that weighs 600g, it's the apply trails 3, the only problem with it is the location of the the pole takes away a lot of usable space!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You've just got to look at Matts pics if you need any convincing Steve ...

http://outdoorsmh.blogspot.co.uk/p/about-e.html

They're a palace for one but easily take two or three. Some folk moan about the large footprint but I've never struggled to pitch it, you can just pitch it over rocks or small bushes and still find a place to set your bed inside.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Well I survived the night, although it wasn't originally forecast to rain, it rained fairly heavily from about 3 in the morning. Fortunately I slept at the back and it wasn't too windy so no rain reached the back and if it had I was in a bivy bag anyway. When I seam sealed the trailstar earlier, I followed the instructions in the link Mat supplied and thinned the silnet down in the following ratio 3:1 white spirit to silnet before applying. I have to say it worked very well and no leaks were found, I really love the space and the versatility of pitching options with the trailstar.
To anyone thinking of getting one, all I can say is do it, you won't regret it!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
You've just got to look at Matts pics if you need any convincing Steve ...

http://outdoorsmh.blogspot.co.uk/p/about-e.html

One of my best purchases ever :)

Well I survived the night, although it wasn't originally forecast to rain, it rained fairly heavily from about 3 in the morning. Fortunately I slept at the back and it wasn't too windy so no rain reached the back and if it had I was in a bivy bag anyway. When I seam sealed the trailstar earlier, I followed the instructions in the link Mat supplied and thinned the silnet down in the following ratio 3:1 white spirit to silnet before applying. I have to say it worked very well and no leaks were found, I really love the space and the versatility of pitching options with the trailstar.
To anyone thinking of getting one, all I can say is do it, you won't regret it!

Good stuff, sounds like a successful first night. I'm still amazed by how much it doesn't move in the wind

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Thanks for posting that Matt, looks like a real competitor to the Oookworks and probably a shorter lead time than Sean's creations to. Shame it's not a double, or I could get one for me and leave the boy in a bivy bag outside (maybe a touch harsh)! All being well I'll be using the trailstar in anger at the end of the month (in the garden doesn't count). Hmm now to get a lighter weight cook system.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE