MLD Trailstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Great stuff, although you can't blame me if you don't like it :lmao:

Yeah the guy line mod for the door looks like a good one, I just switched the guy the one time I've needed to move the door but his method is less fiddly, especially if it's cold or poring down.

Seems like an age ago now, pretty sure the first time I sealed it I didn't thin it down, just got a small brush and daubed it on whilst pitched. I have resealed around the top and mitten hooks fairly recently though and that time I thinned it down, definitely made it easier to work with and get a neater result. Plus some say thinning it down allows it to soak in to the threads a little better meaning it's more efficient at proofing the seam so it's worth thinning it down a little I reckon.

If you can do it on a dry day so you can pitch it and apply the sealant whilst it's pitched, again I think this might help it get in to the seams and threads a little better, but then what do I know :)

Make sure you let us know when it arrives and how you get on with it

Matt
Thanks Matt, when I get it and use it I'll post my thoughts. When it comes I just hope we get a dry weekend to allow me to check it over and then seam seal it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for reply, I guess I may go with the polycro until I get my bottom in gear and make a DIY bathtub. If I'm using bivvy bags then I only need a groundsheet for storage & maybe near the entrance for ingress / egress.

I've been using the same piece of polycryo I cut a couple of years ago, for the weight I think it's hard to beat. Mine covers half the footprint and only weighs 44g according to my scales. I bought one of Seans Oooktubs but not really used it much yet.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I've been using the same piece of polycryo I cut a couple of years ago, for the weight I think it's hard to beat. Mine covers half the footprint and only weighs 44g according to my scales. I bought one of Seans Oooktubs but not really used it much yet.
Thanks Rich, did you get it from Wickes or some such like? I'll do a trawl of the interweb next week I think. Is there anything to watch out for? Like tricks to cutting, or per-heating to avoid shrinkage etc?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah I picked mine up from Wickes, it was a couple of years ago but I think it was around £6

I just cut mine down with a pair of scissors, I've seen some people pre shrink it but I don't think it adds anything if you do. For the corners I folded a piece of gaffa tape over and put a hot peg through

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Thanks guys for that. As I have a few minutes I'll have quick trawl now, shmbo is out and the kids are all occupied, so no time like the present!

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
So while I think about it, my (hopefully final question). What pegs do you use for windy conditions and soft ground? I already have some alpkit y beams XL (240mm) long and some alpkit y beams (180mm) long, should I also think about some MSR blizzards?

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I took a mixture of pegs on my TGO Challenge. Some blizzard stakes for soft ground and some of those long nail type pegs -alpkit call them tykes I think (MLD also sell them) as well as some of the y-beams but mostly used the first two

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I took a mixture of pegs on my TGO Challenge. Some blizzard stakes for soft ground and some of those long nail type pegs -alpkit call them tykes I think (MLD also sell them) as well as some of the y-beams but mostly used the first two
Thanks, for the response, I think I may get some blizzards then. Would love to do the TGO one day to or any of the big trails, I keep eyeing the cape Wraith trail as well!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire

Which shelter did you use on the TGO?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
So while I think about it, my (hopefully final question). What pegs do you use for windy conditions and soft ground? I already have some alpkit y beams XL (240mm) long and some alpkit y beams (180mm) long, should I also think about some MSR blizzards?

I bought the stake pack from Ron with my Trailstar ..

Five 9" .5oz ea Easton Stakes for high wind and main stake points.
Five 6." .28oz ea Titanium Skewer stakes for secondary side stake points.

They've held well in some pretty carpy weather in the Lakes

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Which shelter did you use on the TGO?

Sil Duomid. It was tricky to pitch spot-on to start with and one of the inside mid-height corner clips for the inner was twisted on itself which meant it started to rub away the sil nylon (almost a nice hole before I noticed) but that was sorted with a liberal dose of seam sealing.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Looks like I should be fine mostly with my current pegs, but I think I'll get some blizzards for the real soft stuff and when I re-start winter (snowy) camping.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I bought the stake pack from Ron with my Trailstar ..

Five 9" .5oz ea Easton Stakes for high wind and main stake points.
Five 6." .28oz ea Titanium Skewer stakes for secondary side stake points.

They've held well in some pretty carpy weather in the Lakes

Those easton stakes are stunning. massive hold considering the weight. got mine from bearpaw

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
As other have said the Eastons are very good, especially for the weight.

And another thumbs up for the Polycryo stuff, think I got mine from ebay, lasted far longer than I thought it would and weighs very little

Podcast Bob

The 2013 TGOC crossing was cold and wet (check out my video on YT) and it was a good exercise to watch how people got on in the Trailstar and Duomid during those weather conditions.

everyone without exception bolted down the Trailstar to get out of the wind a rain and the result was very, very low headroom and space. To the point where they could move without touching the sides and getting covered in condensation. Most who I spoke to admitted it wasn't the best choice under the circumstances. However on the one or two pleasant evenings they could pitch it higher and like the 'nice' photos you see.

Duomid users however, from what I could see, all without fail we're much more comfortable and had plenty of headroom to sit and cook in comfort. Although the higher sides caught the wind more the shelter was certainly up to the job.

we are currently waiting for a new product to arrive from Luxe which I think on paper combines the best from these 2 shelters and could be an excellent all round bushcraft, hiking, backpacking design. I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The 2013 TGOC crossing was cold and wet (check out my video on YT) and it was a good exercise to watch how people got on in the Trailstar and Duomid during those weather conditions.

everyone without exception bolted down the Trailstar to get out of the wind a rain and the result was very, very low headroom and space. To the point where they could move without touching the sides and getting covered in condensation. Most who I spoke to admitted it wasn't the best choice under the circumstances. However on the one or two pleasant evenings they could pitch it higher and like the 'nice' photos you see.

Duomid users however, from what I could see, all without fail we're much more comfortable and had plenty of headroom to sit and cook in comfort. Although the higher sides caught the wind more the shelter was certainly up to the job.

we are currently waiting for a new product to arrive from Luxe which I think on paper combines the best from these 2 shelters and could be an excellent all round bushcraft, hiking, backpacking design. I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

The new Luxe sounds interesting Bob, look forward to seeing that, is it the Trail Peak by any chance?

I've had a good number of wild nights in my Trailstar, the only downside I've noticed is you can get drips of condensation falling if it flaps about a lot. If it's pegged out right though the only flappy area I get is at the door way, and I'm usually tucked far enough away that it doesn't matter anyway, a light bivvy helps to keep the bag dry though. The thing I like about the TS is the amount of floor space you get, when using it as a solo shelter, in the low pitch it gives a huge amount of room to spread gear out, in the higher pitch there's more headroom but I don't think it's as practical. I should have my cuben Duomid in a few weeks so it'll be good to see how they compare.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick

Now you tell us! I looked at the luxe habitat shelter as well as the mini peaks and twin peaks, but I was sold on the shape and looks of the trailstar. It will be interesting to see what you've got in the offing! As a side note, I got an Evernew Ti stove and DX stand, which have been great, if a little thirsty! But to be fair having made my own redbull stoves, they are only marginally more efficient. I'll have a look at your TGO video as well, just need the kids to get older, then I'll have the time to give it a crack one year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE