MLD Trailstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Just ordered a new MLD trailstar in Olive / Brown. Been looking for a while now & finally took the plunge last night, I chose the trailstar for the following reasons :
1. Weight
2. Pack size
3. Weather shedding ability
4. Will accommodate my son & I
5. I just the love the design
Hoping for, but not expecting a fast turnaround, can't wait to get out and use it, many more wild camps planned for this year.
Any other users out there with some good tips on set up?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You're going to love it, there's no better shelter out there sub 1 kilo imho.

I've been curious about the cuben DuoMid for a while so I've taken a punt on one of these too, a friend is bringing it over from the US when he comes in Feb, very excited

I hope you get a faster turnaround than my 13 weeks when I bought my TS :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great stuff :cool:

I suspect the turnaround will be pretty quick, long gone are the days of 13 weeks wait for MLD stuff

There's a few useful bits and bobs on the link posted by BareThrills above but there's really not much to setting it up so you'll get the hang of it in no time

This link might also be worth a look, particularly the guy line for the door

Let us know how you get on with it :)

Morning light hits the Trailstar by @OutdoorsMH, on Flickr

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Are you taking your TS on the Challenge Matt?

How's the route coming along?

I think so yeah, I've not made a final decision as yet, Trailstar or Duomid, Duomid or Trailstar... I suspect it'll be the Trailstar as I've used it a lot more than the Duomid so know it can take a real hammering should the weather come in.

Route is done and in for vetting so we shall see! :)

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
You're going to love it, there's no better shelter out there sub 1 kilo imho.

I've been curious about the cuben DuoMid for a while so I've taken a punt on one of these too, a friend is bringing it over from the US when he comes in Feb, very excited

I hope you get a faster turnaround than my 13 weeks when I bought my TS :)
I hope so to, it's a birthday present to myself (end of Feb). The website was quoting 8~10 weeks, hopefully I'll be lucky.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Great stuff :cool:

I suspect the turnaround will be pretty quick, long gone are the days of 13 weeks wait for MLD stuff

There's a few useful bits and bobs on the link posted by BareThrills above but there's really not much to setting it up so you'll get the hang of it in no time

This link might also be worth a look, particularly the guy line for the door

Let us know how you get on with it :)

Morning light hits the Trailstar by @OutdoorsMH, on Flickr
It was thanks to few words from yourself about inners etc and snow pegs etc that convinced me to push the button. That link is a great idea for the guy set up, I'll definitely be doing that. Thanks Matt.
Did you use the thinned down seam sealing method?
Any general tips on seam sealing from anyone?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any general tips on seam sealing from anyone?

I did mine indoors as I don't have a lawn, I hooked the middle loop to a ring in my cellar ceiling and then stretched out and did each seam in turn. I used the McNett stuff Ron sent but thinned it down 2:1 with white spirits. Some folk mask off their seam lines with tape but I just used the wee brush that came with the silicone, it's tidy enough for me.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Ron at MLD doesn't seam seal them as they are (were) primarily made for the American market where they hike in fine weather and so sealing was unnecessary... Also it's a bit fiddly to do a really neat job!

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I did mine indoors as I don't have a lawn, I hooked the middle loop to a ring in my cellar ceiling and then stretched out and did each seam in turn. I used the McNett stuff Ron sent but thinned it down 2:1 with white spirits. Some folk mask off their seam lines with tape but I just used the wee brush that came with the silicone, it's tidy enough for me.
Hi Rich, what's the working time with it thinned down? Does it go off quickly, or is it a case of mix enough to do one seam at a time, or enough to do the whole tarp? Thanks for the response by the way.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Rich, what's the working time with it thinned down? Does it go off quickly, or is it a case of mix enough to do one seam at a time, or enough to do the whole tarp? Thanks for the response by the way.

It goes off really quick at 2:1, I'd say about 8 mins and it starts to get gloopy. I mixed small amounts in the lid of an aerosol can, probably around 25-30ml at a time, from memory it took about 3 mixes to do a full seam but I wasn't in any hurry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE