MLD Trailstar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Podcast Bob

Yes Luxe has taken the feedback i and others have provided relating to the appeal of the Mini Peak and various others on the market and come up with the Trail Peak but also the virtually unheard of Hex Peak.

I saw one sample last summer pitched in my garden when Michael came over and I could instantly see that with a few modifications, it could be a realy winner. He took my thgouhts away with him and the first sample should be with me shortly.

Between the Mini Peak, Trail Peak, Twin Peak and now the Hex Peak, he is making it awkward for people to choose! People will need to come to our show here in Malvern in April and see for themselves I think!!

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I might well come over to show in April, I'm only in Warwick & my sister in law lives in Worcester, so I don't really have an excuse not to! Interesting about the Hex Peak as well, I wonder what MLD will make of it.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
The 2013 TGOC crossing was cold and wet (check out my video on YT) and it was a good exercise to watch how people got on in the Trailstar and Duomid during those weather conditions.

everyone without exception bolted down the Trailstar to get out of the wind a rain and the result was very, very low headroom and space. To the point where they could move without touching the sides and getting covered in condensation. Most who I spoke to admitted it wasn't the best choice under the circumstances. However on the one or two pleasant evenings they could pitch it higher and like the 'nice' photos you see.

Duomid users however, from what I could see, all without fail we're much more comfortable and had plenty of headroom to sit and cook in comfort. Although the higher sides caught the wind more the shelter was certainly up to the job.

we are currently waiting for a new product to arrive from Luxe which I think on paper combines the best from these 2 shelters and could be an excellent all round bushcraft, hiking, backpacking design. I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

I've not decided which shelter to take as yet so it's good to hear, much enjoyed your TGO vids and the rest of them, 2013 did look like a wet one!

Are you on the 2014 challenge?

Looking forward to seeing the new shelter, keep the videos coming :)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Are you passing through Tarfside by any chance? I'm planning to head there for a night in the Mason's Arms before walking home the next day... First drinks on me!

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Well it's arrived!!!! How's that for service! I've given it a quick check over, no obvious defects, all cord locks the right way round, If it would only stop raining I'd go out and try it! So that's ordered on the 13th, delivered on the 24th, wow. Excuse me while I'm off to cut and fit guy lines!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Well it's arrived!!!! How's that for service! I've given it a quick check over, no obvious defects, all cord locks the right way round, If it would only stop raining I'd go out and try it! So that's ordered on the 13th, delivered on the 24th, wow. Excuse me while I'm off to cut and fit guy lines!

Great stuff! Didn't think you'd have to wait long, seem to remember they've hired more staff now so everything ships pretty quickly. 11 days is good though from the US!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Not jealous at all, so there! :cool:

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Thanks all! Guy lines fitted, 65cm for the main guying points, put a 3m length for the door guy plus alpkit mini crab, I may cut it down, melted the ends to prevent fraying, double stoppers to prevent pull through and bowlines on the other end. Oh and best of all NO IMPORT duties!!! Thinking the Olive Brown may be a little dark but, that's inside the house, wish I'd bought the cuben peg bag now, oh well another DIY project to go with the groundsheet I've already made. Bring on some dry time now.

The 2013 TGOC crossing was cold and wet (check out my video on YT) and it was a good exercise to watch how people got on in the Trailstar and Duomid during those weather conditions.

everyone without exception bolted down the Trailstar to get out of the wind a rain and the result was very, very low headroom and space. To the point where they could move without touching the sides and getting covered in condensation. Most who I spoke to admitted it wasn't the best choice under the circumstances. However on the one or two pleasant evenings they could pitch it higher and like the 'nice' photos you see.............

Yes the TGOC 13 crossing was cold, wet and windy; but it Scotland in May that’s what to expect!

I must be the ‘exception’; I didn’t have any issues with condensation with the TS on the TGOC 13 crossing.
Generally was pitching at 120cm as I was using the BearPaw Pyranet Nest but did drop the 110cm when it was really windy (e.g. pitched up on Braid Cairn, 860m, in a 30mph wind), no issues with headroom but then I’m not vertically challenged.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Yes the TGOC 13 crossing was cold, wet and windy; but it Scotland in May that’s what to expect!

I must be the ‘exception’; I didn’t have any issues with condensation with the TS on the TGOC 13 crossing.
Generally was pitching at 120cm as I was using the BearPaw Pyranet Nest but did drop the 110cm when it was really windy (e.g. pitched up on Braid Cairn, 860m, in a 30mph wind), no issues with headroom but then I’m not vertically challenged.

Good to know. Are you the same Whiteburn as in wanderings? Home of the nifty idea for the moveable TS door?

Do you rate the BearPaw inner? I've been looking at them but they don't look to be at their best in the photo's on the bear paw site

P.S. Just noticed that was your first post, welcome to BCUK!

Last edited:
Good to know. Are you the same Whiteburn as in wanderings? Home of the nifty idea for the moveable TS door?

Do you rate the BearPaw inner? I've been looking at them but they don't look to be at their best in the photo's on the bear paw site

P.S. Just noticed that was your first post, welcome to BCUK!

Yup, the very same, got inquisitive at the traffic to my blog from BCUK.

The BearPaws Pyranet is OK, I got the Trailstar mods and 10" solid walls (to cut down the drafts) weigh is around 440g including tie outs. It's probably not as good as the Oookworks as it can be a bit of a faff get the tension 'right' so the bathtub floor sits up. Upside it is quite reasonably priced especially if you don't get hit with customs and delivery is normally 2 - 3 weeks.

I think if I was buying again, without any time constraints, I'd look to a custom Oookworks nest smaller than their Trailstar model, something like the Nano with 30cm high solid walls. Although saying that I mostly just use a bivi, I'll probably decide nest or bivi the day before TGOC 14, may see you on the trail.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE