Mittens..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
this eveing i have been down on the shaw of a little back water with a friend.. it was pertty cold (being november and all) and my hands were chilli..

now i am unable to ware gloves as i am actually a frog.. does anyone know of some decent mittens for buscrafting!

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tomtom if I wear mitts I wear dachstein (spelling?) woollen inners and leather chopper outers to protect them. However I can recommend buffalo mitts too as I have used them for a long time also.

jakunen

Native
Gary said:
Tomtom if I wear mitts I wear dachstein (spelling?) woollen inners and leather chopper outers to protect them. However I can recommend buffalo mitts too as I have used them for a long time also.
Spelling is correct Gary. They are FANTASTIC mittens. I used to have a pair but haven't seen them for years.
Any idea where you can get them from?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
tomtom said:
now i am unable to ware gloves as i am actually a frog..
Was no one else not even slightly disturbed to read this :shock: :)

They are made by and Austrian company tt:

Lackner Wolle

Up and Under in the UK do them for decent price (£14.99):

Up & Under eShop - Dachstein* Mitts and Gloves

011g.jpg

The original Dachstein mitts from Austria. Still one of the warmest grippiest mitts available. The specialy treated wool preserves it's natural water repellency and insulation. Soft to the touch but hard-wearing, used by Alpine climbers for decades

Ribbit Ribbit........ :eek:):

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
tomtom said:
now i am unable to ware gloves as i am actually a frog..

Moonraker said:
Was no one else not even slightly disturbed to read this :shock: :)

i have slightly webbed finger.. gloves hurt.. and i have heard every joke to be made about them :eek:):

does anyone know how to work out your glove size!?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
This sort of measuring is the most common, in Europe anyhow. Of course a companies S,M,L,XL etc will vary a bit like all clothes and depends a bit on the materials but this is the standard way:

GLOVE SIZING

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Buffalo mitts are excellent (I'll be wearing mine tomorrow when I set off to the wilds of Macclesfield) but, being synthetic, you don't want to get close to a flame. I'm also fond of a pair of lined Ventile mitts I bought from Snowsled. They were on special offer, although I forget the price. The inner fleece is thin but quite warm, and I often add a liner glove or mitt to boost performance. The very best I have are from Lapland, gorgeous great woollen things. All I need now is to find a good glover to make a leather shell mitt for them.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
If you want good gloves that will fit you perfectly, make them yourself. I made myself a pair of reindeerskin ones while in Norway. A good way to pass the evenings while chatting, and also they're lovely and warm, have a tough outer (fur inside, skin outside) which makes them surprisingly good for fiddly work, and fit perfectly. :biggthump

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
If you want really warm mittens you should go for Lovikka, can´t get any warmer then that. Otherwise any old army leather mittens with with a wool glove or mitten inside will work just fine.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
arctic hobo said:
If you want good gloves that will fit you perfectly, make them yourself. I made myself a pair of reindeerskin ones while in Norway. A good way to pass the evenings while chatting, and also they're lovely and warm, have a tough outer (fur inside, skin outside) which makes them surprisingly good for fiddly work, and fit perfectly. :biggthump

Oh dear!
It must be 35 years since I sat up on December the 24th, but then I was penitent and looking for presents. :) This year I have to stay awake to slot one of Santa's mates for gloves. :yikes:
Worse still I have to stitch 'em up in front of the kids on St Stephen's Day.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
beachlover said:
Oh dear!
It must be 35 years since I sat up on December the 24th, but then I was penitent and looking for presents. :) This year I have to stay awake to slot one of Santa's mates for gloves. :yikes:
Worse still I have to stitch 'em up in front of the kids on St Stephen's Day.

:rolmao: :You_Rock_

Viking: those mittens look nice :chill:

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
You can get dachstien's from Cotswolds, Field & Trek etc they are still used quite alot for Ice Climbing. They are great in cold dry climates and are the best £10 I have spent on gloves

Richie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE