Mistletoe and Wander...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just so Ivan - interesting to note that each shoot only puts on two leaves a year - its a slow growing thing and not wholly parasitic in that it does photosynthesize. Hawthorn is amongst those its known to like, but I'd also like to get it on a big old sycamore - but I've never seen it grow on a maple - have you?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Cheers Ivan, so much to know about mistletoe haha! I do agree it is almost entirely ignored for almost the entire year! Thanks, Harry :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Just so Ivan - interesting to note that each shoot only puts on two leaves a year - its a slow growing thing and not wholly parasitic in that it does photosynthesize. Hawthorn is amongst those its known to like, but I'd also like to get it on a big old sycamore - but I've never seen it grow on a maple - have you?

I have never seen it on sycamore or maple, that could just be regional? Around these parts it is particulary prevalent on tall fast growing common and black poplar also ash (way out of harms way) but hawthorn is popular too, but the best examples here are in aged cider orchards where it is very impressive and easy to reach/harvest and most healthy looking also most berries.

If there is interest i can go to an old abandoned cider apple orchard to take some pics, that will make your jaw drop! Nosey sod me!

The rarest i have seen a decent clump on, is in the fork of a mature horse chestnut tree.

Ivan...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have never seen it on sycamore or maple, that could just be regional? Around these parts it is particulary prevalent on tall fast growing common and black poplar also ash (way out of harms way)

Ivan...

Interesting that - I've got more ash than you can shake a stick at - might well be worth a try on one of them!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
ooooh photos of the orchard would be awesome! :)

Uh OH! i feel another mission coming on! I love a challenge, i also love sharing a common interest or even passion with the great people on this site, you have asked for it now! Be prepared to be all mistletoed out before the end of December.

Thanks folks, i am not wholly the fool you see in the pics and other absurd sillyness i post honest!

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Interesting that - I've got more ash than you can shake a stick at - might well be worth a try on one of them!

Will get as good a pics as i can to proove the ash comment, the growth is a long way up and i ain't climbing no more! so as best as my little camera will do will have to suffice, if the weather is not as bad as forecast i will go tomorrow.

Loving it!

Ivan...

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Uh OH! i feel another mission coming on! I love a challenge, i also love sharing a common interest or even passion with the great people on this site, you have asked for it now! Be prepared to be all mistletoed out before the end of December.

Thanks folks, i am not wholly the fool you see in the pics and other absurd sillyness i post honest!

Ivan...

Haha oh dear what have I let myself in for now?? But then again, how can one have too much mistletoe??

Hugely interesting thread, knew next to nothing about mistletoe at the start! :) Thanks, Harry

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fascinating plant in reality - and I suspect that most people have never seen it growing now :(

Have at it Ivan - love to see an old orchard - mine is just a baby and I won't live long enough to see it gnarled :(

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Here is the bunch i foraged today from the heavily laden old eating apple tree for me and neighbours, just an appetite whetter for the newly formed Mistletoe appreciation society (Dec Only!) As you may be able to see this did not grow in a crack or crease or fork, but once established over goodness knows how many years appears to sprout from within the very vein of the tree, which has borne very little fruit in my memory, as it has been totally consumed by the mistletoe, wish i had not pruned it so hard now!

Mistletoe 006.jpg Mistletoe 001.jpg Mistletoe 002.jpg

Mistletoe 003.jpg Mistletoe 004.jpg Mistletoe 005.jpg

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Woah some of those stems look pretty darn thick! Really looking forward to seeing this orchard now! How long can Mistletoe live for as well?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
To add, once this stuff takes a proper hold it really makes itself at home! no need for bird help or crevice it just sprouts wherever it wants just like a bumper crop from the origianal tree, maybe thats why it loves apple? Like the new fruit has taken over.

The apple tree in question is still relatively healthy, very well protected from the elements, but if you were thinknig i will go back there in the autumn and grab a few apples, forget it, all its nutrients are now going to sustain the good old white berry, hats off to it though must be like being strangled!

Ivan...

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wow never seen such a big batch of mistletoe! Last batch I saw was about the size of a beach ball on a street tree in the middle of walker in Newcastle. None of the other trees had any so I always wondered how it got there.

Anyway nice pics mate looks like a cracking spot

Orric

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
To add, once this stuff takes a proper hold it really makes itself at home! no need for bird help or crevice it just sprouts wherever it wants just like a bumper crop from the origianal tree, maybe thats why it loves apple? Like the new fruit has taken over.

The apple tree in question is still relatively healthy, very well protected from the elements, but if you were thinknig i will go back there in the autumn and grab a few apples, forget it, all its nutrients are now going to sustain the good old white berry, hats off to it though must be like being strangled!

Ivan...

Do you know how long it'd take for it to take a really good hold? Seriously interesting plant though! Thanks for all the info :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok! To save cluttering up the Out and About bit, or a Mod screeching in and shoving this somewhere else, i will start a new thread under Flora and Fauna, as there appears to be enough interest and it could run a bit hopefully!

Ivan...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE