Mist and reflections on Loch Long

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just got back from another nice little trip out with the boys, back to Loch Long again this time as I was working on the Friday afternoon and didn't time to travel very far.

We didn't get up to much really apart from chilling out around camp and going for paddles or walks. I managed to meet up with Jurassic from SOTP who found my trivet for me after I left it at Loch Lomond a couple of months ago, cheers for that Chris :)

A few pics then .....

Yours truely looking a bit tetchy about paddling a sea loch solo in total darkness
DSC02401P.jpg

Boat loaded, cider ready, no idea where I'm going
DSC02399P.jpg

I managed to find the other guys after plodding on through the dark for what seemed like ages, the obvious sign was when Stuart turned on his 7 billion lumens torch which burnt out my retinas and temporarily blinded me for the next five minutes.
After the usual greetings I grabbed my gear and set off to find two promising looking trees for my hammock. The morning revealed I'd pitched over a bog/stream again.

View from camp in the morning
DSC02411P.jpg

DSC02414P.jpg

DSC02405P.jpg

Trivet finder Chris
DSC02403P.jpg

Ciara waiting for the kelly to boil
DSC02419P.jpg

Took a wee wander with Josh to fire a few arrows at menacing looking clumps of grass and vegetation
DSC02409P.jpg

DSC02410P.jpg

Chris was moving on in the morning to have a solo night further up the loch
DSC02420P.jpg

DSC02421P.jpg

Just after lunch the water was like a mirror, I was thinking about going for a paddle and then noticed Josh had already beat me to it. I loaded up the boat with emergency brew rations and water and set off after him.
DSC02423P.jpg

DSC02425P.jpg

DSC02427P.jpg

Josh paddling on glass
DSC02430P.jpg

DSC02431P.jpg

Looking back down to camp
DSC02437P.jpg

We pushed on up the loch to see if I could find a camp site I used a few years ago when I was hiking in the area. It was pretty trashed when we got there so we put it down as a maybe for another time, nice views though
DSC02439P.jpg

DSC02440P.jpg

On the way back to camp we pulled into a cove to grab a couple of trees from the driftwood pile, then it was back to camp to make a start on the stew.

Heading home this morning
DSC02455P.jpg

Another great weekend thanks guys, it's definitely worth pushing up that way again next time.

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
you guys are sooo luckyto have that on your doorstep great pictures regards dave

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Great week-end again guys, here's a few of my pics...

P1010961.jpg

P1010943.jpg

P1010938.jpg

P1010939.jpg

P1010952.jpg

P1010956.jpg

P1010944.jpg

and this week-ends Shewie Stew did taste as good as it looked :)
P1010962.jpg

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
....and there's more. :)

LLONG_JAN_01.jpg

Another for the blurry otter photo collection. Between waves, wobbly canoes or in this case fog the elements seem to always trash my chances.
...and any time I get a good look the camera is lying at camp or stuck in a barrel.:rolleyes:

LLONG_JAN_02.jpg

Flat calm loveliness for the afternoon paddle with Rich.

LLONG_JAN_03.jpg

LLONG_JAN_04.jpg

Clinging to life and doing alright.

LLONG_JAN_05.jpg

Camp from above, we were right in the middle of the pic.

LLONG_JAN_06.jpg

Could someone fill me in on what this was, I wasn't for kicking it to read the other side.

LLONG_JAN_07.jpg

Great stuff once again, cheers guys.
:)
Josh

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Stunning Rich!!

absolutely stunning mate,....

i know you venture north regularly but how are the trips organised if you dont mind me asking,...

Stu,,,

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
I live in Oban and heard few ppl on about the earthquake. I was up around that time but never heard/felt anything.

Sorry for double post wouldn't let me edit mine. I was going to add " I'm very jealous wish i had a canoe and transport, so i'd be able to go up few lochs near where i live. Awesome pics though, lovely weather.. " but saving edited posts are no working atm it seems..

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
i know you venture north regularly but how are the trips organised if you dont mind me asking,...

Rich usually gets a pass and gives the rest of us a couple of weeks notice. He's the one doing the miles, Stuart and I are only 20 miles down the road from Long and Lomond so these are local jaunts for us, Stephen's a bit further but still within easy reach.
When Suzannah came along up she jumped on a plane. Most of us pass the airport on the way to the west coast anyway so pick-ups/drop-offs are easy.

P.S. cheers resnikov. Does training mean it was a blank?

P.P.S. Few, I'm not mad, it did actually exist.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE