Missing link

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I saw this on the news last night aswell, makes you think doesn't it.

Does this re-write the history books then ? I'm not very up on the old evolution thing ....

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So they find another new species of primate that is the size of a small dog that lived 47 million years ago and once again claim evoloution, based on the fact that it has an ankle bone similar to ours.

Well my friends cockatiel has a hollow bone structure and the same ( but smaller) hips as a velociraptor. Its solved at last yaaayy we have a raptors ancestor in a cage.

This is what they expect you to accept :lmao:

How many species of primate lived at that period in time? They probably don't know. Do they have a fossil of this animal either previously or after to show any changes?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
HillBill, its more likely we evolved from primates than it is some divine being created everything in 7 days or is that what the other THEY expect us to believe?
oopps third option space men made us for a project!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
HillBill, its more likely we evolved from primates than it is some divine being created everything in 7 days or is that what the other THEY expect us to believe?
oopps third option space men made us for a project!

I agree. I'm not in that "other camp" either.

(suppose it may look like that occaisonally though)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I always think of the theory of evolution like a million piece jigsaw puzzle, we now have another piece but IMHO it's not a corner or even an edgy bit, it's maybe a blurry middley bit somewhere to be chucked in the box until we find another blurry middley bit that looks somewhat similar. I'm not sure we have more than ~1000 pieces and not many fit together.

Life goes on.

Cheers,

Alan

Oh apparently there's a TV show and a book coming out..... me cynical... nah....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is the fossil 47 million years old or 4.7 million years old ?

If it's the latter, then it's slap bang where it's theorised that something like that ought to exist, if it's so much earlier then that kind of puts it at the roots of the anthropoids, doesn't it ?

Interesting anyway. Thanks for the link.

cheers,
Toddy

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I personally distrust fossil evidence. It's just too sketchy. The chances of an animal becoming a fossil are so remote that it can't be feasible to use fossils as evidence of what may or may not have happened in the past.

I read somewhere that if the entire population of the USA died, over 250 million people, the amount of bones that made it to become fossils would not amount to half a human skeleton!:eek: Millions of years from now the paleontologists would not know for sure if the yanks were the same species as the rest of the world:D

I just don't think we humans will ever find out for ourselves where we came from. Maybe if someone who knows better than us tells us we'll get the answers.:confused: :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Is the fossil 47 million years old or 4.7 million years old ?

If it's the latter, then it's slap bang where it's theorised that something like that ought to exist, if it's so much earlier then that kind of puts it at the roots of the anthropoids, doesn't it ?

Interesting anyway. Thanks for the link.

cheers,
Toddy

Its 47 million toddy. 20 times earlier than the earliest human evidence.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I

I just don't think we humans will ever find out for ourselves where we came from. Maybe if someone who knows better than us tells us we'll get the answers.:confused: :)
Humans already know where we came from, we just cannot prove it, well not to the satisfaction of those people who want there to be a “deeper reason” than we are the result of randomness so random that we happened by a series of ‘lucky’ mistakes. Human kind are the result of nothing more or less by a million million million random throws of the biological dice. Each version of our ancestor being slightly better at surviving than the last version (like windows 086 evolving in to Windows 1.01) :D

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Humans already know where we came from, we just cannot prove it, :D

You individually might 'know' that what you believe is the truth, but not all humans are so sure, some humans might 'know' something else to be true. There can be only one truth though.:)

I predict a locked thread, this is going the way of all evolutionary threads:D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
You individually might 'know' that what you believe is the truth, but not all humans are so sure, some humans might 'know' something else to be true. There can be only one truth though.:)

I predict a locked thread, this is going the way of all evolutionary threads:D
There is only one, this is true, however I think that faith, is not truth, belief in something does not make it true, no matter how many faiths think it does.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
As Dawkins wrote - every time they find a missing link it creates twice as much room for more missing links. There is no persuading some people.

Meanwhile what an exciting discovery. Do you think it used a Scandi grind ?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Does it really make any difference where we came from?
Will this missing link make any material difference to us at all,after all it was 47,000,000 years ago ,how can this have any bearing on the world today?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
The term "missing link" is a meeja invention. It is just another fossil which adds to the sum of knowledge on our developement. It's no more or less important than any other.

This find was remarkable due to it's completeness. It appears that the wee beasty was probably overcome by fumes and fell into the lake, settled in the ooze at the bottom and got fossilised. The surrounding stain gives a good idea of it's musculature.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The scientists are getting pretty desperate to PROVE Darwin's "theory" of evolution - that they have been teaching as established fact for many decades. But it still is an UNPROVEN "theory", nothing more.

And all the other "theories" about how man and our world came to be in its current condition are all just ... theories. And many of those theories have just as much or more ... proof ... to back them as Darwin's.

In the end, ALL those theories have to be accepted on ... faith. Even Darwin's theory has so many holes in it that it has to be accepted based upon ... faith.

Personally, I think we all migrated here from Mars. Yes, another of those "theories". And it has as good of "proof" as does Darwin's theory. So that would make us the Original illegal ALIENS!

Time to go brush up on my Martian dialect! My ... Great Rift ... accent has become a bit lax. Don't want to be mistaken for a Plains' man.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The scientists are getting pretty desperate to PROVE Darwin's "theory" of evolution - that they have been teaching as established fact for many decades. But it still is an UNPROVEN "theory", nothing more.

And all the other "theories" about how man and our world came to be in its current condition are all just ... theories. And many of those theories have just as much or more ... proof ... to back them as Darwin's.

In the end, ALL those theories have to be accepted on ... faith. Even Darwin's theory has so many holes in it that it has to be accepted based upon ... faith.

Personally, I think we all migrated here from Mars. Yes, another of those "theories". And it has as good of "proof" as does Darwin's theory. So that would make us the Original illegal ALIENS!

Time to go brush up on my Martian dialect! My ... Great Rift ... accent has become a bit lax. Don't want to be mistaken for a Plains' man.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
This post shows a clear lack of understanding of the meaning of he word Theory

"In science, a current theory is a theory that has no equally acceptable or more acceptable alternative theory, and has survived attempts at falsification. That is, there have been no observations made which contradict it to this point and, indeed, every observation ever made either supports the current theory or at least does not falsify it by contradicting it completely"
Wikpedia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE