Missing link

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Bible also said "Moab is my washpot"
Now what does THAT mean?
Not everything in Black and White makes sence to me...except a glass of Guiness!
I dearly love all these theories, but I cannot understand them all - or even a large part of them!

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Well, except for the bit about the Earth (and indeed, the distinction between Day and Night) being created before the Sun, Moon and stars... That doesn't seem right.

Good point Dunc.

This could be about perspective.

Perhaps the light from the sun and moon was not visible until God said the famous words 'Let there be light.' Perhaps the sun and moon were already there but maybe the atmosphere of the earth at that time prevented their light from reaching the surface of the earth sufficiently to recognise them.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to believe the Genesis account (honest) but if you look at it without the preconception that it is mythological nonsense and really compare it to what we now know about how the universe began and how life emerged then it is uncannily accurate.

Moses, who penned the account, was a clever man who received the best education available in ancient Egypt but it is strange that he didn't believe the Egyptians' version of creation, broke out on his own and came up with something that is not so far away from what we now know thousands of years later.

Apologies to the mods if anyone feels I'm being overtly religious but I think these are valid points when people are talking about creationism versus evolutionism. There is common ground I believe.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Moses, who penned the account, was a clever man who received the best education available in ancient Egypt but it is strange that he didn't believe the Egyptians' version of creation, broke out on his own and came up with something that is not so far away from what we now know thousands of years later.

Apologies to the mods if anyone feels I'm being overtly religious but I think these are valid points when people are talking about creationism versus evolutionism. There is common ground I believe.
There is no evidence that Moses wrote the first five books. unless of course Moses lived for 450 years:rolleyes: ( Bible claimes 120 years)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
There is no evidence that Moses wrote the first five books. unless of course Moses lived for 450 years:rolleyes: ( Bible claimes 120 years)

Tadpole I'm not going to take this off topic again with a debate on what bible writers wrote what book of the bible no matter how many times you use the eye-rolling smiley.

I believe we were talking about the theory of evolution and it's effect on creationism in light of this 'new discovery'.

I find the Genesis account fascinating in it's accuracy compared to modern proven science.

Now you know how I feel I'll bow out (whenever someone says that you can guarantee they'll be right back:D ) But I've said my peace. :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Perhaps the light from the sun and moon was not visible until God said the famous words 'Let there be light.' Perhaps the sun and moon were already there but maybe the atmosphere of the earth at that time prevented their light from reaching the surface of the earth sufficiently to recognise them.

It is quite explicitly stated that the Sun, Moon and stars were created on the fourth day [Gen 1:14-19], whilst God said, "Let there be light..." at the beginning of the first day [Gen 1:3-5]. The only way to make it fit anything like modern science is to redefine most of the words, and then re-arrange them into a completely different order.

Anyway, we're very definitely into forbidden territory now, so I'll stop.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
It is quite explicitly stated that the Sun, Moon and stars were created on the fourth day [Gen 1:14-19], whilst God said, "Let there be light..." at the beginning of the first day [Gen 1:3-5]. The only way to make it fit anything like modern science is to redefine most of the words, and then re-arrange them into a completely different order.

Anyway, we're very definitely into forbidden territory now, so I'll stop.

See! Right back!:lmao:

You're right, sorry I didn't have a bible to hand and I'm no theologian. My bad:eek: The 'let there be light' was indeed on the first day. This was obviously describing the sun, the other stars heck maybe even the big bang.

I still think it could mean that the sun and moon were only visible from the earth by the end of the third day though. My bible (New World Translation) reads that He put the two great luminaries in the expanse (sky) which could be taken as in the visible sky from the earth. They were there but not visible as definable things from earth until the end of the third day.

I'm not coming back now deffo because I can feel a yellow card coming on:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Let there be Light"
Surely that is a mistranslation or misaprehension in The King James version (which of course was an attempt to get all the DIFFERING verions of the Bible to agree)?
Is not the the modern translation more accurately rendered as "Lets have some levity"?
Creation (as opposed to Creationalism) is one long practical joke, played on the human race by a superiour being with a sence of the rediculous!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
"Let there be Light"
Surely that is a mistranslation or misaprehension in The King James version (which of course was an attempt to get all the DIFFERING verions of the Bible to agree)?
Is not the the modern translation more accurately rendered as "Lets have some levity"?
Creation (as opposed to Creationalism) is one long practical joke, played on the human race by a superiour being with a sence of the rediculous!

godsfacebookpage.jpg

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Bigshot

The creation theory comes from the bible and evolution comes from science.

In my opinion science has the upper hand as most men of science are open minded
and will believe all the facts and not have to keep looking in a book to see if they
are allowed to believe it.

Swagman.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Bigshot

The creation theory comes from the bible and evolution comes from science.

In my opinion science has the upper hand as most men of science are open minded
and will believe all the facts and not have to keep looking in a book to see if they
are allowed to believe it.

Swagman.

The Creation theory goes way further back that the bible. In fact the bible was mainly a copy from earlier texts. Think of the bible as a copy of the original with a fictional story attached.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The Creation theory goes way further back that the bible. In fact the bible was mainly a copy from earlier texts. Think of the bible as a copy of the original with a fictional story attached.
People are mixing terms up here.
Creation Story, not Creation theory.
Creationism has been roundly debunked. (check Pseudoscience in wikipedia)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
People are mixing terms up here.
Creation Story, not Creation theory.
Creationism has been roundly debunked. (check Pseudoscience in wikipedia)

Maybe it's not me that is going to get a yellow card after all.

We're getting really close to the rules of the forum now. I think No Religion also includes not claiming all religion is based on something that has been 'debunked'. People can get a bit upset with that, surprisingly:rolleyes:.
And debunked by whom? Some scientists? :welcome: Not exactly breaking news. Some reputable scientists subscribe to creationism. Are those scientists 're-bunking' it? Is it so bad to have a differing view to the majority about something that is only really theorised?

I try to find common ground with evolutionists because a dialogue can lead to understanding but it's impossible with some people.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
:. Some reputable scientists subscribe to creationism. Are those scientists 're-bunking' it? Is it so bad to have a differing view to the majority about something that is only really theorised?

I’m sorry but those terms are mutually exclusive.

This is my last post in this thread as some here are just out to push their pet green lizard alien stories, and are making sure that all topics lead there.
I’m keeping stum from now on. normally I'm not willing for people to get away with stating whatever whacky story they follow as a fact.
But I can see that the mods will come down hard on whom so ever is just that little too slow on the “Report post” function.:(

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I’m sorry but those terms are mutually exclusive.

This is my last post in this thread as some here are just out to push their pet green lizard alien stories, and are making sure that all topics lead there.
I’m keeping stum from now on. normally I'm not willing for people to get away with stating whatever whacky story they follow as a fact.
But I can see that the mods will come down hard on whom so ever is just that little too slow on the “Report post” function.:(

Tadpole I haven't 'pushed' anything and I certainly have not stated any 'story' as fact. I've just said that some people have a different view of a theory. I don't get why that bothers you so much:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE