mirror mirror...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Had the realization that my first aid kit lacks a mirror, making it hard to treat wounds on my own face when out solo.

With this in mind can anyone recommend a rugged, lightweight mirror suitable for use in a first aid kit? It needs to be clear enough to see detail (think good enough to use to squeeze a spot... or pluck your eye brows (which ever example you find easiest to relate to)) and not something that will break if I drop my first aid kit.

Would be a bonus if it was easy to use as anemergency signal mirror.

Any suggestions?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
This little 2.75" (70mm approx) clamshell compact design handbag mirror was one of the many options provided by the wife.
She's not entirely sure where it came from though it's got a solid feel and well made so Boot's the chemist is likely source according to her but says similar can be found in pretty much any make-up isle.

Had I more hair then I would be using a cleverly designed travel brush that unfolds to reveal a narrow mirror in the handle.:eek:

The square one is plain regular mirror, the circular magnifies
and there’s just enough of void space when the case is closed to hold a piece of card with needle or three & thread/dental floss.
Depending on load-out it floats between the medium size FAK and my dopp-bag/waskit.
mirror.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A very handy thing to have, wound treatment aside I have used mine to get insects out of my eyes and to make sure I look 'normal' when returning to civilisation after a week in the woods.

I use a British Army WW2 signal mirror, made from stainless steel so it won't break easily.

mirror.JPG

:)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've a piece of mirrored steel that was plasma cut by a mate of mine.
Can be used for signaling, candle reflector, personal care and importantly serching for things like ticks.in hard to see places. One edge is also sharpened (protected by duct tape) in case an emergancy blade is needed

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
PM me with an address and I'll send you one of these:

2015-05-20%2009.40.19_zpsuudvy6fw.jpg

If you'll forgive the poor focus, you should be able to see a jack russell cross standing in front of a window and my neighbours Land Rover discovery on the opposite side of the road. It's the platter from an broken hard drive - the central hole can be used for sighting while signalling or to hold the mirror on a stick/string while needing both hands.

The reflective surface is second to none really crisp and will put most if not all cheap glass mirrors to shame, re-use is the best form of recycling and it's free!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Adze were you winding up your JRT with the light from the mirror? :) Used to send mine loopy doing that.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Not lightweight but I have a broken mirror that I cut into whatever size I need. It's 3mm thick but thinner ones are about. Broken Mirrors are everywhere and glass cutters are cheap.

This is my Birch bark mirror...

c4a247e298012355496a7b097c1a0704_zpsu5ghsqki.jpg

50f8120c0d3958b7dbc9b429ab340730_zpsc41ptrg6.jpg

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
+1 to the hard disk platters - great quality image, unbreakable, (that's not a challenge!) and free; slipped one into a small leather wallet a good few years ago and used it often, it's as good as new :)

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I got a small stainless mirror roughly the size of a credit card at H&M. Came in a faux leather sleeve. Lost it now but I'd recommend it.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
HDD platters are ok, I kept one in a wallet for a while, although it did get a bit grubby but with a little wiping was good again, I did find the hole in the middle a bit of a pain though. The magnets from HDD are pretty strong to, good if you've got kids and have things you want stuck to the fridge that they can't get off, you have to have fairly strong fingers to remove the magnet:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE