Minnows - A fishy Tale...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So, Minnows are supposed to be edible... My foray into Daily Foraging is , I think, about to jump up the food chain.

Who here has eaten Minnows and what has been the best way you've found to enjoy them??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't eat fish. Not ever. Me and fish have a hate on, they make me itch and they make me throw up.

However, my little bother loves fish. Any kind of fish, and he'll eat it.
He said that the best way to eat minnows is to flour or batter them and fry them. Just eat them whole, and covered in batter you don't notice the heads.

Not a lot more than a couple of bites to a minnow though.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I don't eat fish. Not ever. Me and fish have a hate on, they make me itch and they make me throw up.

However, my little bother loves fish. Any kind of fish, and he'll eat it.
He said that the best way to eat minnows is to flour or batter them and fry them. Just eat them whole, and covered in batter you don't notice the heads.

Not a lot more than a couple of bites to a minnow though.

Yeah , I must admit I was thinking of white bait as I watched them in the river.

He leaves them ungutted I assume. ?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
When good old Henry viii took to his barge on the river Thames he had Gudgeon fishers with him, they would catch the Gudgeon and pop it straight into a pot of boiling oil.... deep fried but without the batter

might be worth a try.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They eat mostly planktony stuff I believe. Small stuff, bits of plant, fish eggs, etc., can't see anything there that would harm, especially if you cook them.
I know humans can get ill from the gut of anchovies, but I haven't heard anything about minnows. I know the other Toddy just ate them whole.
I still grue at the thought.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fresh trout straight out of the burn or a lochan are good food though. Always small, just fried right away in a little butter, dip them in oatmeal first if you want a bit more to them.

I know how to cook them, I just don't see why folk eat them, iimmc ? Folk who do eat them seem to find them tasty enough though. If you've some ramsons growing near by, lift a few of the skinny shallot like roots and slice them finely long ways. Fry them up in the butter you use for the fishes.

M

Reactions: Spirit fish

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... but lest we should be seen as encouraging people to break the law we need to clarify that there are 'take' limits and minimum size limits for fish, 'game' fish come under different legislation than course fish, and you need a rod licence to fish! The law is unclear (to me) about the use of nets to catch smaller fish but quite clear on the use of nets for migratory fish.

To be honest, I don't know any specific law that covers catching largish numbers of small fish with a net but I doubt it's legal. There's a daily catch limit of 15 'small' fish anyway. Local byelaws will vary of course.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a kill-joy, just wouldn't want anyone to 'have a go' then get into trouble :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not to be funny but are you 100% sure they are minnows. Trout fry look remarkably similar when they are in the water - slightly different shape to the darker spots. As whitebait is the fry of any species I guess you'd be eating freshwater whitebait :)

You are Right Broc , You are not funny.... :)

These are VERY small fish , I think I will try to get a closer look with a Soda Bottle trap.

Anyway , there is a curfew on if you've not heard , normal Laws don't apply.. :)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
How small ?

See the source image

Pimephales_promelas.jpg

Reactions: TeeDee

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here, it's a generic term for a great variety of small fish species, mostly under 10cm in length.
Head them, pinch out the guts and fry? Not my first choice but in a tomato sauce, might be OK.

Oolican were not eaten here in the Pacific Northwest but rendered/fermented and the oil was skimmed off
to be stored and used as a delicacy. Hooh! Jeez! Not in my house.

Sardines in tins have the guts in them, don't they? Have not had a taste of them for years.
Sardine sandwiches, green onions and beer. My Dad's weekend treat. You could find him in the dark.
Oysters, clams and mussels don't even have fins and they're OK to eat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE