Minimal bedding

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
To answer your question, I've lived on several continents and everyone seems to use a covering of some sort. So, yep, it's probably universal.

That story about sleeping on embers is interesting. I know the Sothos do sleep on the warmed ground of their firesites hubbled under their blankets, but those fires are dead. Live embers sound dicey.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Abbe Osram said:
There is a very old technic from the sami but its a bit dangerous and I first want to test it myself. I was reading that they where able to sleep on the ember of willow. They where able to sleep on that bed of ember without a sleeping back in minus 45 degrees celsius. The trick was where the firer was made, and in which way one puts the bundle of twiggs ontop of the ember. Willow ember has a white cover and looks like its dead and cold but the ember is not. On that they put a lot of twiggs in a special way without giving the fire air to flame up.
If you do it wront you might lay on a pile of ember, having willow twiggs under you and are sleeping. But it is suposed to work very well.

cheers
Abbe

Intriguing Abbe.
Does sound a bit like a Darwin award waiting to happen though.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Abbe Osram said:
If you have nothing like that you can build a warmed up sleeping ground.
make a hole as long as you are, cover the ground and walls with stones and have a fire in it. Fill the hole with sand again and sleep on the warm earth. You can too put a reindeer fur ontop of these.

If you've seen the film 'Jeremiah Johnson', there's a scene where they do this in the snow. The lesson learned is that you need to cover the embers well, or you end up being steamed :) .

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have slept outside, stark naked, without a cover, in a mesh hammock... Once. That was a really hot night in New South Wales - so hot that the breeze felt like someone standing next to me with a hair dryer.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I can sleep in any position almost anywhere without covers. I have always been able to sleep (proper sleep) in a chair at work with a mug of tea in my hand and be able to wake almost exactly 15 mins later, and not spill a drop. The advantage is a nice cup of tea ready to hand! Really charges you up for the afternoon slog..

Oh, and no covers at night now for weks. If I was outdoors I would though.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
maybe it links in with babies in the woom - feel safe/protecting covered by a sheet

know what i mean? like in the fetal position

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Spacemonkey said:
I can sleep in any position almost anywhere without covers. I have always been able to sleep (proper sleep) in a chair at work with a mug of tea in my hand and be able to wake almost exactly 15 mins later, and not spill a drop. The advantage is a nice cup of tea ready to hand! Really charges you up for the afternoon slog..

Oh, and no covers at night now for weks. If I was outdoors I would though.

Have you slept in a coffin before ? bet you have....
This is an old thread.........I have always needed a cover over me to sleep, until this summer, I am now sleeping on the duvet, took a while to get used to it, but now sleeping fine, apart from when the storms wake me up........

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Spikey DaPikey said:
I've found a coffin to be comfy ;) :D

Errrrr Been there....Done that !!!! :eek:

frozennutsrally2006095sy3.jpg

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
This has been a fascinating thread for me. Sleeping on top of your fire etc.. Right now I'm having some of the best sleep in years!
I've been sleeping in desert for the last 2 months in just my silk inner, I was told that deserts can freeze at night, so I brought my old 58 bag. Its been a great piece of padding to sleep on top of.
Not looking forward to coming home to SWMBO and the duvet police
How are you all coping with the heat wave?
George :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE