mini apple-like tree - ID please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, would anyone know what the fruit tree is in photo please, the fruit is like a ''mini apple'', it is about the size of a ripe damsom, it does not grow any bigger as i saw them last year as well and they are full size, they have pips in the centre excactly like an apple, it is their small size that is puzzling me, they are excactly like miniature apples about the size of a damson, they are growing on the roadside close to a town so maybe some foreign tree planted for ornamental value, anyone know what it is and to what use they can be put to, are they indeed some type of miniature apple and can they be eaten. Thanks.

tree004.jpg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi locum76, they are not crab apples, they are a lot smaller, i have just eaten one and it is quite nice unlike crabs that are horrible raw. I am very familiar with crab apples and these are something else, as i say very small and less than half the size of a crab apple.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
They look like crab apples to me, not necesarily the typical wild ones you find but more like the more ornamental variety planted around towns. Crab apples can produce very small fruits, some not much larger than a cherry. Have a look at some in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_apple

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
never heard of quince, i'll do some googling to see what quince is ---- just to show example of size of fruit i've added another photo with fruit next to matchbox and 10p coin, photo below.

fruit002------.jpg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
...quince?

googled quince but don't think it's that, thanks though locum76.

They look like crab apples to me, not necesarily the typical wild ones you find but more like the more ornamental variety planted around towns. Crab apples can produce very small fruits, some not much larger than a cherry. Have a look at some in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_apple

probably an ornamental variety as you say as they are on roadside in town, they taste nice and not at all unpleasant like crabs, maybe some ornamental crabs are not unpleasant raw as these are not. Thanks slowworm.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi,
A picture of the plant in situ may help as form can help in ID, also of the leaves and stems.
Remember that plants when under stress can produce miniture forms... look up Bonsai and think of wild strawberries.
Would also be good to see a fruit cut in half.
GB.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Not quince, they are like a green damson.

Id say ornamental crab.

Crab apples come in many forms, some natural sports, others crosses with cultivated apples, still others cultivars gone wild.

Not all crabs are inedible

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Definitely not quince (Do you want one Rob, I've got two spare rooted cuttings )

I agree with Tengu that it looks like one of the ornamental crab apples.......there were a lot planted about twenty years ago as 'public' trees, lots of funny cross overs wth pears too, again tiny fruits, and some were very tasty,

Might be worth while seeing if you can get a photo of it in flower next Spring. Just to sort of complete the picture kind of thing.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. It seems there is an International Ornamental Crab Apple Appreciation Society.......don't know if this link works but it's full of information,
http://hcs.osu.edu/osuetalks/014/Hit%20or Myths with Lists.ppt

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
did someone want some quince? blooming things grow like weeds in my garden. the fruits fall, rot away and the seeds do their own thing, I've got a couple I'm bringing on as bonsai just to add to my collection of trees. No those are not quince, definately crab apples there's a rank of about 6 or 7 trees exactly the same along the road from me

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are your quince perfumed ?
If I gather a small bowlful and put it in a room, it gives off the most beautiful scent......perfumes the house, absolutely lovely. It's easy to see why they used to be called Aphrodite's apple :D

Mine have deep burnt orange coloured flowers and bright yellow fruits.

cheers,
M

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Not quince, they are like a green damson.

Id say ornamental crab.

Crab apples come in many forms, some natural sports, others crosses with cultivated apples, still others cultivars gone wild.

Not all crabs are inedible

Some green damson grow around here, when i first spotted them i looked them up in Richard Mabey's book and he described a similar fruit as ''greengage'', i have never heard the name ''quince'' before so thanks for that.
Crab a '''natural sport''', well round here collecting them is anyway ha ha.

Definitely not quince --- I agree with Tengu that it looks like one of the ornamental crab apples.......there were a lot planted about twenty years ago as 'public' trees, lots of funny cross overs wth pears too, again tiny fruits, and some were very tasty,

Might be worth while seeing if you can get a photo of it in flower next Spring. Just to sort of complete the picture kind of thing

Thanks for replies folks, opinions seem to indicate an ornamental crab, however a very tasty one. Thanks info.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I also agree not quince (aren't they usually yellow?)
tnhey sem to be apple familyI would say not the greengage which would be plum family

I've seen them locally but i can't remember where:(

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Looks to me like John Downie Crab, Malus'John Downie' only know because i pruned one for somebody once and they told me.
Cheers,
David.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE