mini apple-like tree - ID please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Looks to me like John Downie Crab, Malus'John Downie' only know because i pruned one for somebody once and they told me.
Cheers,
David.

Second the John Downie Crab Apple. My folks have had one in the garden which was a wedding present. Makes excellent jelly!

It is....Malus John Downie.

A POSITIVE ID, thanks very much indeed folks it is definately a '''John Downie''', quite a few of them around here, they taste nice and will become a welcome addition to the foraging harvest around here. Nice to have got a positive ID, many thanks to all members for your contributions and informative help. (apparently it does make an excellent jelly as well)

simon67

Jan 3, 2009
isle of wight
I visited a customer of mine recently to find the lady of the house out in the front garden, having a clear up on the lawn. Pointing at the wicked tree she cursed, " damned appley things always falling on my lawn making a mess".
I promised to find out what they were exactly and have since finding this thread, been able to promise to remove the whole crop from her tree, making her happy and giving me another source of free ingredients.

I don't often post here, but a regular read is invaluable. Thanks to you all!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE