Miners lamp restoration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Not very bushcrafty, but at the group camp last weekend, I was gifted an Eccles type 6 Protector lamp.
This had sat unused in a damp shed for a number of years, and although complete and undamaged, it was completely seized.
Copious amounts of WD40 over several hours meant I was finally able to strip it down for cleaning and inspection. To my surprise the 2 fibre washers were in good condtion, all I really had to do was to clean the mesh cages, remove the rust from the striker key, put in a new wick. then change the flint after removing the old one that had become wedged in the striker tube. After filling with lighter fluid the lamp lit on the 2nd go.
I was well pleased. This is a lovely lamp that may accompany me to some overnighters.

IMG_20190303_182648.jpg

IMG_20190303_182841.jpg

IMG_20190303_211114.jpg

IMG_20190304_103851.jpg

IMG_20190306_130326.jpg

IMG_20190306_130313.jpg

subzeer0

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2014
East of Durham
just for a bit info...if its all brass top...its a decorative one...if it has a silver top with brass plate..its a proper used one

judging by the lack of number of the plate and no dents, and the lack of a soldered tube on the top part, where a methane test tube was fit...these were officials lamp..as it is a "striker*,,ordinary men had a lamp that was lit when an electric current was passed over the glass retaining ring igniting a copper coil near the wick, which this one is missing ... looks like a one that could be bought from the lamp cabin manager as a gift

never the less a well made item, happy days

Reactions: crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
just for a bit info...if its all brass top...its a decorative one...if it has a silver top with brass plate..its a proper used one

judging by the lack of number of the plate and no dents, and the lack of a soldered tube on the top part, where a methane test tube was fit...these were officials lamp..as it is a "striker*,,ordinary men had a lamp that was lit when an electric current was passed over the glass retaining ring igniting a copper coil near the wick, which this one is missing ... looks like a one that could be bought from the lamp cabin manager as a gift

never the less a well made item, happy days

I believe that these were also sold commercially for motorists to leave in the engine bay of their cars, to stop the engines freezing in winter. The lamp would not ignite stray petrol vapour of early engines.

Reactions: Nomad64 and MrEd

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The number 6 is the current model and both the brass and the stainless lamps are designed for underground use.

They are sold to all comers and are still used in explosion risk areas of many different kinds because of their gas indication properties.

Protector-Clipping.jpg

It is unlikely to be a colliery lamp because it bears no identification numbers but other than that it's history would be difficult to pin down.

Type6-Protector-Clipping.jpg

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
If you are ever heading through South Wales (to/from Moot?), a visit to Big Pit is a fascinating and humbling experience.

https://museum.wales/bigpit/

Although the mine ceased operations many years ago, it is still subject to the same regs as working mines and all potential sources of ignition including anything with a battery (other than the issued lamp) is taken off you at the surface.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The number 6 is the current model and both the brass and the stainless lamps are designed for underground use.

They are sold to all comers and are still used in explosion risk areas of many different kinds because of their gas indication properties.

It is unlikely to be a colliery lamp because it bears no identification numbers but other than that it's history would be difficult to pin down.

Great info Gary, cheers.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi, that has cleaned up lovely, I've got the same lamp how did you seperated the top part ie the part above the glass? Thanks Candy

Hi Candy. On this one you have to open the tank filler cover, this also allows you to unscrew the tank.
IMG_20190501_101405.jpg IMG_20190501_101451.jpg

This also allows the locking pin to drop, so you can then unscrew the top.
IMG_20190501_101536.jpg
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20190501_101451.jpg
    IMG_20190501_101451.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 7

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I am renovating exactly the same model lamp. I can't see how to access the wick or to get fuel into it.

See post #12 Jack, some models require you to unscrew the base to access the wick and fill the tank. Some, like Colins in this post have a fill port on the side of the base

If it's been polished lots it might be that it's gummed right up due to polish solidifying in the threads and joints so you might have to use a lot of WD40 to loosen it up.

Post some pics if you need more advice

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
its a beautiful lamp. Im glad you were able to get it going.

Humphrey Davy would be pleased.

(Ironicaly tin mines are not prone to firedamp).

subzeer0

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2014
East of Durham
the pin was pulled down with a strong magnet allowing the locking plate to open

when my pit closed they dug a big hole and shoved hundreds in and covered them back over...what a shame

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE