Milk thistle seeds - anyone want any?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I grew a couple of milk thistles this year from plants I got at a herb centre. I've just been harvesting some of the seeds for next year and have way more than I need. The plant is a biennial, so if you sow them now, you should get a rosette of leaves before the winter, and flowering plants next year.

Milk thistle can be used for the treatment of liver disorders (and has evidently been effective in the treatment of Ammanita Phalloides poisoning, though keeping a couple of seeds in your first aid kit to chew on probably isn't going to save you!).

In practice, you probably aren't going to get enough seeds from a garden to do much with them, but they do make an interesting plant - a fairly tall thistle with leaves shot through with milky white veins.

If you want any, PM me your name and address and I'll post you half a dozen or so seeds. Not sure about sending seeds overseas, so I'll keep it to UK addresses only.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've just posted the first batch (to those people who have given me an address). Hopefully you'll get something like this next year.

milkthistle_01.jpg

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just to say that the seeds have now been posted to all who requested. They've gone second class, so if you haven't got them by the middle of next week, let me know and I can send you some more.

Geoff (with prickled fingers from extracting seeds - these thistles have VERY sharp thorns)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Went for a mooch around the bottom lake last night and find loads of them growing wild.

How do you process the plant/extract what you need from it?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Ah...now you should be able to make your own tincture. Soaking the seeds in vodka for a couple of weeks ought to extract the 'goodness'. If you've got lots growing wild, you should be able to get plenty of seeds. As you have probably seen, each plant produces a lot of seeds - if you cut the almost open seed head, and leave it upside down in a bowl for a few days to dry out, you should be able to shake the seeds out without getting prickled. Give them a good shake to detach from the 'parachute' and blow the fluff away like chaff.

But I'd recommend checking with a good herbal book, or a herbalist.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Can anyone advise on the best enviroment for these puppies?

I think they grow pretty much anywhere - and are regarded as weeds in places. They seem to be surviving the dry weather very well, so I suspect that they are pretty tolerant. Only problem I had when I first planted them was slugs or caterpillars eating holes in the leaves.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE