Mildew on canvas tent...what to do???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Mildew on canvas tent...what to do???
Hi guys
I bought a wonderful swedish winter army tent for 12 people with a stove.
I am happy about the tent except that there comes a very strong stuffed smell from the canvas.
I believe the army had it in store for some time and the thing smells very bad, I don't know if it got stored moist and is in danger of mildew attack. Hopefully I am lucky and they treated the canvas with a anti fungi protection and the whole tent only smells so bad because of the long time in storage.
Has anyone got experience how to get the tent fresh and save. I really don't want to see that nice tent go down the drain with mildew.

Cheers and thanks for any help
Abbe

:pack:

Ts1spoc

Dec 2, 2004
Kansas, USA
I had a large canvas tarp that would make your eyes water if it was in the cab of my truck for very long. The only way I got rid of the smell was to set it up in the yard and wash it with a hose. I then left it in the bright sun shine for a few days to air out. If the smell persists you could use a baking soda and water solution or a mild detergent. Remember to rinse it well as soap is a surfactant and if it's rained on with soap residue it will leak.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Give it a good airing before you use it, should ease the stink, you should'nt get problems with mildew if its completely dry before being put into storage and you store it in a dry place loosely folded, tilts for the series landys are canvas and they are as tough as old boots as they have to withstand the elements constantly they tend to rot as the years go by but i cant say ive ever seen one with mildew on it as mildew likes warm moist dank places to grow in remove these elements and you should keep a mildew free tent.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Thanks guys, you managed to cool my stressed out nerves down a bit.
I went and hanged the tent into the shed, its a dry and very cold place with a lot of air. Its hanging free up there and I hope that does the job.

thanks for your help
cheers
Abbe

:)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Most surplus fabrics have a strong musty smell from storage. Mildew will normally appear as spots ranging from light brown to black. The best treatment is to CAREFULLY wipe it with a dilution of clorine. Some fabrics will be fragile simply from time and UV radiation.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I have alot of canvas rucksacs etc and find the longer you store them, the more they smell, the only way to stop the smell is give them a good airing preferably in the sun.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The way to get rid of mildew smell is to wash with two cups of white vinegar, then wash again with Vanish Oxy Max. I guarantee this will rid you of it, though remember that Vanish Oxy Max can not be used over 50 degree water. Naturally this is for a machine wash. If the drum you use in a launderette or a bathtub (!!) then increase the dosages to match.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
There's another factor about the smell.

It might not be mold/mildew. It's entirely possible that the smell wafting into your nostrils is either the flame-retardant treatment, or a water-repellency smell. I've got an army poncho, and it has quite a horrible smell. I was told it was the retardant mixture sprayed onto the fabric. If it is, it won't be easy to get rid of. Hosing your tent down and air-drying might help a bit, but not a whole lot.

Just my $0.02!

A.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE