Milbank bag and stainless steel water bottle recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 31, 2021
Derby
Hi everyone!

I've officially had enough with water filters when out on several day trips.

I currently have the platypus quick draw link below, and I've had enough of the fiddly caps and plastic reservoir bags leaking and not knowing when the filters are no longer working.

I would like to start using a milbank bag for filtration and boiling for purification with some chlorine or iodine as a backup.

I tend to camp in wooded areas where the only water source can be ponds, small streams and even puddles when trying my best to avoid modern civilization like it's the plague.

Can anyone recommend a good quality stainless steel bottle for using over a fire to purify and a place to purchase a milbank bag from?

Thanks

LPK

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I would recommend the Nalgene stainless bottle - Nalgene fits some MSR filters directly. Most purification tablets are for a litre so this is worth considering too.
Brown bag milbank filter is a good option if you can’t find an issue one.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I would recommend the Nalgene stainless bottle - Nalgene fits some MSR filters directly. Most purification tablets are for a litre so this is worth considering too.
Brown bag milbank filter is a good option if you can’t find an issue one.
Same recommendation, but I would add the Klean kanteen 40oz bottle into the mix

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I really like Dave Canterbury’s Canteen, that and the cup that goes with it make a nice set up I think. There’s several milbank bags out there now, Brown, Helikontex, Neil-Greencraft of this parish makes his own that he offers up for sale from time to time too.
Now if only someone would do a stainless or titanium 58 pattern bottle

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
I really like Dave Canterbury’s Canteen, that and the cup that goes with it make a nice set up I think. There’s several milbank bags out there now, Brown, Helikontex, Neil-Greencraft of this parish makes his own that he offers up for sale from time to time too.
Milbank bags there loads out there but you have to go with whatever you can find in stock .
Filters I use a mar trailshot .

The TBS one is very good

And in response to Clem you can get stainless canteens am sure pathfinder make one
I spotted it when in woodland ways the other week

Reactions: Decacraft

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Have a nalgene 1l, I was under the impression there were 2 different designs, so I went with the single wall stainless Steel. It gets cold to the touch when there's something cold in, and warm when hot water in, so I use it as a hot water bottle also.
If you get a double walled then it's harder to boil water with, as it acts like a flask and has an insulation cavity.
I use a generic stainless cup and lid (500ml) as it was cheaper than most of the branded ones online.
Millbank bags are becoming available online again now.

Most of this can be bought as a complete solo cookset, and you may find buying a set as opposed to single items will get you better value for money

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK

Like these buddy?

Aluminium I know but I think the closest thing nowadays.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Like these buddy?

Aluminium I know but I think the closest thing nowadays.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I’am not sure what these are to be fair mate.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Single walled stainless steel bottle from Wish works well enough if on a budget and don't mind waiting.

Mine arrived withing the time estimated and hasn't failed me.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The cylindrical stainless steel Nalgene bottle 1 litre fits the TBS 750 ml mug and the Lixada 750 ml stainless steel mug with bail and butterfly handles.

That's not the lightest but surely most practical of the available options.

These mugs are offered by Toaks, Tomshoo and Lixada as titanium versions too. Used as kettle and cup that's good, used as cooking pot steel is surely better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE