Midges

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2011
Scotland
Got bit in the eye last week causing the eye to swell and close. This happened on a 5 day bushcraft session in the North of France.

On an overnight last night in Fife, Scotland and was savaged, at least ten large bites on head alone plus a bad one on the ear causing that to swell up and stick out.

Might invest in a headnet and repellent.

Is it possible i'm highly susceptible to bites or is this normal?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For some it's normal, unfortunately :sigh: On the other hand, one of my sons is totally immune and so is my older brother.

Beatson's midgie jacket and new forumla Autan is my latest defence.
Best advice is to cover up, and take the anti histamine's, they really do help. If you do get bitten, take anti histamines and ibuprofen anti inflammatory. Just mind and eat something with the brufen too.

Miserable damned things, the only thing that's worse are clegs, and I have an epi pen because of their bites :(

Best of luck with it.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I only get mildly irritated by them myself, I don't get much itchyness or swelling but it just the fact that they get all over your exposed flesh and somehow into your brew or food.

As Toddy says, Beaton midge jackets is the way to go and for when they're not swarming I use Nordic Summer.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Im not bothered to much my self but my wife is and weve found that "be gone" made by Chris at mystic moments in Aberdour Fife works well.I think she does mail order.
Steve.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
There is a product by Avon called 'Skin so Soft'(cream better than the spray) with a high citronella content,the midges hate it and it works a treat and very cheap, OK if you can stand the p**s taking when the lads see it in your pack, which could possibly be worse than being bitten!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
^

That doesn't work for everyone and I understand the new formula isn't as effective, as they have changed it? (looking for confirmation here).

Eagle Owl, you need to take the precautions Toddy suggests but ideally bring along a family member who can act as midgie bait and give you some relief :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I heard Avon had stopped or were about to stop producing the SSS stuff, might be worth finding out if your a fan. Personally I tried it and it had no affect but everyone is different.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
and if there is sunshine, rare I know, but that strange, hot, bright yellow ball light does appear in the sky sometimes, then be careful, because Skin so Soft is oily and folks burn when wearing it.

cheers,
Toddy

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
In camp has any one tried the Thermacells? Supposed to be v effective- has any got any experience of them?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've found the vitamin B patches to be really effective. Stick one on and stride out - the bugs - midges, mosquitoes or whatever - part as you get close. It's like wearing some sort of forcefield. The patches last a lot longer than topical applications but you do have that faint whiff of old Marmite as a result; still, far better that than being eaten alive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE