Midges.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Out in the local woods today and felt the bite of the Scottish midge.

Anyone else felt the bite of these things this year.

Iain

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Uhuh, me; Bothwell down at the Clyde was hoatching with them last week, I got bitten by a cleg a fortnight ago too :(
Break out the Bog Myrtle time again, I think.

Cheers,
Toddy

S

sylbaryn

I'm sitting here with legs as spotty as a biggy spotty thing. The temptation to scrach is incredible. Yes, I've too been attacked by the midge. If anyone knows of an actual working midge repellant I would be most greatful and if anyone knows how to sooth the irritation of a well bitten set of legs I would be even more appreciative. :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Miserable little bu**ers aren't they :(
Take an anti-histamine tablet and buy and use some Eurax cream.....failing that, don't scratch, just gently rub on some almond oil or handcream until the irritation is bearable. My brother swears by tea tree oil on the bites, but I find lavender essential oil soothes if I haven't got the cream handy.
Hope it eases soon,
Toddy

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
toddy does bog myrtle help?

and how? just rub it all over?

eating looooooooooooooads of garlic seems tro help a little, and one of the B vitamins (anyone help here? i cant remember which one)

smoky fires

chain smoking

they seem to be like mozzies, attracted to warmth CO2 light and particularly perfume of any kind

wash the important bits only with soap and rinse as much as possible, skip skincremes lotions and potions, i never even found jungle formula to help much with them

ummmmmm if none of the above work emigrate

little beggars can make life hell :(

Tant

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i went up to loch fyne 3 weeks ago and couldn't put the dry suit on fast enough and i melted inside but they couldnt chew through that, and hopefully i took some down to to 20 metres.
They get every were and how small.....
forgot my nordic summer though arghhh still got evidence of bites...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tantalus said:
toddy does bog myrtle help?

and how? just rub it all over?

Bog myrtle (Myrica Gale) works virtually anyway you can get hold of it...for *most* midgies. The ones at Cowal seem to be resistant this year according to the gossip :(
Fresh leaves rub between your hands and rub over. For an easier application, fresh or dried leaves I boil up into a 'tea' with Melissa and Mugwort, add witch hazel and a few drops of real turpentine and make it into wipes. It would be very wrong/illegal :rolleyes: of me to recommed this remedy, but I can advise that it seems to work remarkably well when I've got it with me. :) ;)
I use the bog myrtle to dye wool too and the scent lingers on the fibres and still seems to offer some immunity.....it's used to dye tartan and Harris tweed. If anyone can get hold of pure bog myrtle essential oil (used to be produced on Skye but the business folded) just mix six drops with two tablespoonsful of almond oil and rub on. Later in the year the tiny little seed cones can be gathered and simmered gently. Allow to cool and skim off the waxy surface, mix with candle wax and burn....nae midgies :D :D Burning branches on a fire helps too as does Mugwort.
Modern Herbals give all sorts of toxicity warnings for these plants, but midgies are a curse. My grandpa smoked bog myrtle, etc., in his pipe to get peace and he was in his late 90's when he died.
Cheers,
Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I tried some stuff using neem tree oil bought from Rob and Mel at http://www.wilderness121.co.uk/ That seemed to work, but washed off in the rain, and is only quoted as good for about 3 hours anyway, but it smells LOADS better than DEET.

Also used something called Autan purchased through Wilkinsons http://www.wilko.co.uk/index.htm
produced by Bayer it is meant to work for about 8 hours. It certainly seemed to work, not sure about the time length, but it too smelled better than DEET, and seemed less oily.

Less exposed skin and keeping cuffs tight helps too :rolleyes:

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Autan - this is good stuff, use it all the time, except for last week end.

While bust taking stuff into the woods, forgot to put any on and was wearing shorts. Only walked about 200m but looked more like the michalen man that night.

great stuff

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
sylbaryn said:
and if anyone knows how to sooth the irritation of a well bitten set of legs I would be even more appreciative. :(

I usually just use ice, it numbs the irritation, certainly in the short term.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've used a few different repellants in my time - DEET doesn't ever seem to work against midges, at least not in strengths you'd want on your skin.

Autan sometimes works, but again seems to depend on the midges and region.

Bog myrtle - as Toddy says, the oils from the seed cones are good - I've often heated these (and/or leaves)in some vegetable/almond oil over a water bath until the oil takes on the scent, then used that oil with some beeswax to make an ointment or cream, or mixed it with some water, and shaken well in a spray bottle for easy application. If you need a repellant 'in the wild' then rubbing yourself with the leaves helps, as does tying a sprig to your hat/rucksack (keeps them away from your face if nothing else, which is the most annoying part when you're trying to get things done). Otherwise, burning it on a fire, or using as a smudge stick is also helpful.

About the only ways to completely protect yourself though are to either stay inside a mesh bag 24/7, or take along a large and smelly animal that is more likely to attract the midges (I hear that deer and cows are especially useful in this respect :D)

As for getting rid of the itching - anti-histamines, either tablets or creams work well, I usually take a tablet before I go camping, as often they don't really work once the itching has started.

The other thing I've had recommended is a small electrical device - apparently only a few pounds in Boots etc - put it over a bite and push a button and it gives asmall shock to the bite, desensitises the nerves and stops itching for a few hours. Have yet to find one and try it out...

Of course, if you come camping with me, you'll be safe anyway, as I seem to be a walking midge attractor :(

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Tantalus said:
eating looooooooooooooads of garlic seems tro help a little, and one of the B vitamins (anyone help here? i cant remember which one)

Tant

Try B complex,that way you get 'em all.Works on mozzies,don't know about the wee tartan b**gers though.You have to take it for a few days before exposure to get any effect..

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’m afraid I favour 100% DEET. I hate to think what it is doing to me, especially after getting some overspray on a wall and watching the paint blister!

But I’m allergic to midge bites, in fact I’ve had to have time off work with a well placed bite! One bite on a joint and I can’t use the limb. So DEET me up Scotty.

I have used those burning coil things which seemed to work surprisingly well.

As for soothing the after affects, cold wet cloths, antihistamine tablets/cream and calamine lotion

The other thing I've had recommended is a small electrical device - apparently only a few pounds in Boots etc - put it over a bite and push a button and it gives asmall shock to the bite, desensitises the nerves and stops itching for a few hours. Have yet to find one and try it out...

I've got one of those clickers, and have found it surprisingly good. It's clipped on a small karabiner and attached to my pack now. The effect does tend to wear off after a couple of hours and it takes a few more clicks than it says.(10-15)
Worth the few quid i paid - I got mine from Asda BTW.

Neil :D

Rick

Jun 26, 2005
Brighton
BorderReiver said:
Try B complex,that way you get 'em all.Works on mozzies,don't know about the wee tartan b**gers though.You have to take it for a few days before exposure to get any effect..

Somebody once told me that eating Ribwort or plantain seeds gives a boost of Vitamin b sufficient to repel 'em. Don't know if it works 'cos I got bored of eating 'em after a while.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
To soothe the bites the best stuff I've ever found (and I live where all the midges seem to come on their holidays) is preparation H, the pile ointment.

It contains large amounts of local anaesthetic as well as stuff to reduce swelling and irritation. I don't really suffer from midge bites anymore - but Tick bites are something else and its the only stuff that seems to help.

Don't ask how I found out though!

George

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The British army repellent is/was DEET- I didn't find it much good for Scottish midgies, though I would certainly use DEET in a malarial zone.

So far I've found Mozzyoff Cocktail (Neem tree oil, bog myrtle, a few others) the best. It is an oil, and after 24 hours or so of regular use you build up a nice glaze on the skin. Nessmuk advised against washing the glaze off.

Autan changed its formulation a year or two ago and I must try it again.

A head net is very useful. Personal field trials indicate that it is quite possible to drink malt whisky through a head net.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Old thread resurrected 😀
Up on the west coast most people use Avon's 'skin so soft' (assumed it was common knowledge). smidge is also supposed to be good but I've never tried it. Best advice is to just wear a net. We've been wearing these this year albeit the midges haven't really been that bad http://www.military1st.co.uk/07630g-mfh-mosquito-suit-hunter-brown.html

Reminds me that years ago I was on Skye with a friend who was an ex-Para (massive bloke with hands like shovels). The fist day he ate 2 large jars of marmite as someone had told him it would keep the midges at bay. I suppose it was for the b12? The next day was our first day in the woods, he was eaten alive!

BTW I have no association to any companies or brands mentioned (but I do like marmite).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE