Midges have started

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
There have been a few midges about for quite a while now but the cold weather has really set them back and they haven't been at all bothersome. However, things have warmed up a little and they have appeared in annoying numbers now. Even my attempts to boil up some water for tea on Friday were thwarted:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Mmm, midge soup, tasty ?!!!

Just ordered some Avon So Soft spray, supposed to be good for them, contains citronella I think, don't know if anyone else has tried it and rates it ?

As a bonus I'll have lovely soft skin too apparently ! :)

Cheers, Paul

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
This doesn't bode well for me camping in Galloway next to standing water does it? :mosquitos:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Just drink it through your headnet and you'll be fine, it doubles a midge strainer :lmao:i love the little :mosquitos:but it paints a kind picture as the midge one they wouldn't fly off after the attack

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:yuck:

Time for the big midge net canopy there I think….or away out onto the loch where they won't follow you.

I reckon that's why folks built crannogs. No midgies :D

M

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just drink it through your headnet and you'll be fine, it doubles a midge strainer :lmao:i love the little :mosquitos:but it paints a kind picture as the midge one they wouldn't fly off after the attack

It's fine I've just made one of the canvas filter bags I've seen on here. The missus would argue that I've; butchered a pair of shorts that where £10, used 500 yards of thread, sent a needle through my thumb and could have used a sock. She would be right. But that isn't the point is it?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
:lmao: :rofl:

Speak to Ian (bilmo-p5), though they do say that necessity is the mother of invention.

M

That's who's I saw. Its made me realise that people with a skill or talent make it look easier than it is. And sewing machines are sharp. Didn't have that mess on making my tarp. Even if my 1 night under it was one of the wettest I've ever had

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Mmm, midge soup, tasty ?!!!

Just ordered some Avon So Soft spray, supposed to be good for them, contains citronella I think, don't know if anyone else has tried it and rates it ?

Avon Skin So Soft is great if you are sitting down to watch an episode of Countryfile. If you are actually going to go out onto Ombrotrophic bog or wetland then you need something that actually works.

In my view that means either something with lots of DEET in it or Smidge. I'd my doubts about Smidge, but it actually works, and was what I was wearing on the day I took the tea photo. I only had one bite and, to be fair, probably got that before I'd put the Smidge on.

jtkirkland

Dec 11, 2014
Coastal Georgia, United States
We have a similar pest here in the SE US that we call sand gnats. They swam and bite when the weather is perfect. I use an all-natural product called NoNatz!. You can find the stuff on Amazon (US). It works pretty well on the skin but requires reapplication after a while, particularly if you are sweating. I'm not sure if you could find a seller who would ship it to the UK affordably but I can get you the ingredients from the label and you could mix your own. Everything in it can be found at the Chemist and a Natural Food shop that sells essential oils for aroma therapy etc. Let me know if you're interested...

I recommend a shot of strong spirits to keep them out of your tea. Either splash it in after brewing or, better yet, take the shot yourself and skip the tea... ;)

Cheers!

Jefferson Kirkland

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Smidge definitely works i've put that stuff through some serious testing, it needs reapplication every couple of hours for full effect and more often if you're a heavy sweater when active but that's expected, i came back last time without a single bite, my bro was not so lucky as he fell for the oldest midge trick in the book and got the top of his butt and lower back savaged as he never tucked himself in and everytime he bent over collecting wood and stuff they feasted on the bare flesh, everywhere else he had applied smidge and in the bad times had a beaton jacket on but not tucked in, he said he will not need to learn that lesson again the hard way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the Autan spray. I don't flare up into an itchy mess with it; it does stop the midgies (and the clegs :D ) but it does need re-applying often when the wee horrors are in full rapacious rampage.

M

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I like the Autan spray.

It has exactly the same active ingredient as Smidge, though I think they use a different trade name for it - saltadin, icaridin, bayrepel, picaridin are just some names for the same thing. Smidge claim that their version is waterproof and so better but I've no idea if that is true but it works and doesn't melt my fishing rod, fly line, the switches in my car etc. etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know that; I do know that the spray on bit makes my life easy :D It gets into my hair and easily onto any exposed skin really effectively. The rub on stuff I always miss bits :eek:

Having grown up with DEET as the supposed be all and end all (literally!!) I must admit that I like not worrying about plastics melting and worrying about just what it's doing to me too.

M

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE