Mid sized sac for a "long back"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adey

Nov 3, 2010
Yorkshire
have tried a few packs and read a few threads on rucsacs here but still cant seem to find a good answer - mostly I think because I am pretty tall

My main rucsac is a POD Black Ice with a size 3 back system. It fits great and takes a load of gear (approx 60L I reckon) but I need a smaller, lighter day sack

I would like a comfy, simple, tough pack in 30 - 40L. Dont want flimsy fabrics or construction

The 30 to 40L mainstream brands I have tried all seem short in the back and some are so flimsy they wouldnt last a week

The military style sacks, like Munro/Sabre seem good but I have struggled to find one to try on - and also been told military packs are shorter back designs anyhow (so folks can use them with utility belts or something)

Any thoughts?

onthehills

Sep 24, 2012
Yorkshire
I'm 6"3 and have the same problem.

All my packs are Golite in the largest back size they do, goods packs for lightweight loads, don't want to find out how durable they are though.

I've been looking at getting a pack around 40L for winter that is simple but durable and cheap. The best thing I've found so far that looks like it has a long back is the Lowe Alpine Strike. Endicotts sell them from £17.95 for a grade 2 but say stock is erratic, x-mod have new ones for £60:

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=2138

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=11720

The reviews on here that I've have all been positive but if it doesn't fit...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Gossamer Gear Gorilla Its the right size, low weight, dyneema gridstop fabric and comes in a long back.

I have the sister Mariposa plus in large, it fits my very long back well. You can get them from Winwood Outdoor or order from the states.

The Sabres will fit you too, mine is nowhere near max adjustement.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I am 6'5 and find Arc'teryx very good fit.
I have a Khamsin 55L for long trips and a Bora 35L for days out.
They are not lightweight but for durability only Crux come close imho.Build quality is flawless too.
Simon

Sep 9, 2004
Kirkintilloch
I'm 5'10'' but have a long back. When I was looking for small sack a couple of years back I ended up going with a Gouter from Aiguille Alpine (http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_P030). They have them in different back lengths. It was probably a bit more expensive than going for some of the lighter mass produced models but I'm glad I did. While its not the lightest sack in the world but is both tough and very comfortable even when loaded. I had them add somewhere to put a platypus, a waist belt and a couple of pockets on the side for walking poles etc for a small aditional cost. While stated as 30l I'm sure its a bit more.

No links to the company but a very satisfied customer.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Osprey packs come in different sizes and it so happens I have an osprey kestral 38 in size large for people over 6ft (38 litre ) siting here not doing much :)
If this is your sort of drop me a pm we may be able to sort something out

Adey

Nov 3, 2010
Yorkshire
thanks for the ideas folks

Had a look at a few more today - alas Osprey was too flimsy looking for me but thanks salad. Macpac offer various back sizes in smaller packs too, but a little pricey

Aiguille looks like an interesting option, they do some sensible sized/priced crag sacks like Cirrus. And they come in a range of proper colours too - with an little nudge to the wife I reckon we can drop into Kendal over the next couple of weeks

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I agree - get Aiguille Alpine to make you a pack to your precise back length. Superb no-fuss designs and excellent quality. Not cluttered up with heavy "technical" features you don't need. I love mine, a Zenith in olive green, which holds way more than the 47L it is rated for. It is the only sack I have got that has persuaded me to set aside my old Karrimor Alpiniste from time to time. Good colours too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE