mid-high end folding knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I couldn't find a decent knife forum to use in the last couple of days (I gather the popular one is down)

I was hoping some folks could help me - not typically bushcrafty request this one...

I hate using the term EDC but that's what it is, I've come into some windfall/birthday coming up and have been looking forward to get a pretty knife. I mean a reaaaaly nice knife (I've plenty of BC users, this has to be something I want to put on the beside table at and stare at.) It doesn't necessarily have to be "UK legal" as I don't intend to carry this on the streets of London, I live deep in the country, and that's where I intend to use it.

This for example is quite nice, though I'm pretty sure I can't get titanium anodised! http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static...ias-II.jpg?token=xqVEqKupVRjhHqWuFXfiXa3W/pU=

I need an everyday knife that I love to look at. I'm talking this has to be a beautiful knife that if necessary I can disassemble and send the scales away to be anodised. :D

I was originally looking at the Benchmade 940 and almost went through with it but some people have had reservations about the S30V steel.?:confused:
One of the reasons I'm interested in the 940 is that Wranglerstar on YT I have been watching for a few years, had one for 7+ years, lost about 5 of them, and kept coming back. He tried dozens of others, but nothing even compared for him. He was beating the hell out of that thing and it just kept going. It was a bit ugly by the end.
Also the 940 can be disassembled and customised.

I'm in general used to the cheap but great steels that Opinel and Mora use for their cheap users. In my experience they take an edge easily and hold it, from Sandvik 12C27, to the standard High Carbon Steel that is the pet favourite for the likes of Dave Cants.

Anyway people, Help me find something! Plastic handles are not an option!! I've looked everywhere I can think of in every moment of my spare time for the last 2 weeks! :( I literally losing sleep!

Thanks in advance
Tommy

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I've had almost every folding knife going and now this goes everywhere with me. No worries as it's UK legal and it does everything I ask of it.

11%20SPITS%20view%20P1050460.jpg

As BB is down for a few days, here is a review by someone clearly getting a freebie and a bit OCD in his review, but the main features are there along with decent photos.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...n-locking-Sub-3-quot-%96-Titanium-%96-N690Co)

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There will be people in here to help. Looked at that Bradley, but I don't like thumbstuds. That's just personal though. Titanium can be anodised, ukmidnite on BB or known as Theslippyslug on CandlePowerForums.

Ti Olight,

6C13D978-C9B6-4B25-96B4-D83DC3DA3810_zps1wzwpued.jpg

Ti Boker Kwaiken flipper (might fit your criteria too).

630B85FD-64BE-4C33-A9C6-3DAAE488E400_zpsqrq2tsl3.jpg

B92F34D2-F24F-42CE-B9AE-625CB77E83B6_zpsgkdzkzfq.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Ye olde Victorinox? They have some bigger ones with wooden handle too :p. Always found those to outperform the "high end" (more expensive) knives.

I love that pic, good to see knives that are used.

Take good care of a knife, and you can't see it's been used unless you damaged it. I recently lost my first swiss army knife. Had it for about 20 years (got it when i was 15), and you could hardly see any wear and tear and it was used a lot. Just take care of it.

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I know practicality nothing about high end folders BUT over the last couple of years I must have seen 100's of videos/reviews extolling the virtues of the Benchmade 940.
It is supposed to be the best folder in the world.

My advice would be to get something very cheap with the same steel (S30V) blade and mess about with it to see if the blade steel is for you.
Alternatively find someone who knows more than me about steel and ask them specifics.

Anyhow best of luck, would love to know what you eventually go with and how you like it...

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Ye olde Victorinox? They have some bigger ones with wooden handle too :p. Always found those to outperform the "high end" (more expensive) knives.

Take good care of a knife, and you can't see it's been used unless you damaged it. I recently lost my first swiss army knife. Had it for about 20 years (got it when i was 15), and you could hardly see any wear and tear and it was used a lot. Just take care of it.

Couldn't agree more, but it wasn't the question raised by the OP.
This is a SAK rescaled by me that has travelled around this country and Europe with me.

And here's a locking one that I removed the locking layer from, modded to EDC / sub 3" and then rescaled.

Last edited:

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Heh, you are slightly too late Sumguy just night the last Unobtanium knife and walked away...

Seriously though if you want an amazing folder then two spring to mind, the Hinderer XM18 3.5 with a flipper and a spanto tip, or if you want one that's not capable of cutting through tanks but it just as nice a slicer and maybe more pretty look at Chris Reeves makes an amazing knife...

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Chris Reeve for a knife you may keep forever. There is nothing at all wrong with S30V either btw .. I've had dozens of knives made from it and never had any problem.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Have a look at the Randall range of folders on the HH site, they are very good value for money. but not legal carry.

Rob

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
Chris Reeve indeed! Sebenza or the new Inkosi. Here's standard Inkosi vs. large Inkosi.

IMG_9114.jpg

Here is exactly my own one, personalised by my friend with CNC. I carry and use this one a lot.

IMG_1155.jpg

And my Sebenza 25, wich I used to make an "emergency spoon" 3 years ago to feed my 2yo son in the field. It was all carved with Sebenza.

DSCF4718.jpg

DSCF4721.jpg

DSCF4731.jpg

DSCF4725.jpg

Last edited:
You fellas are really nice and helpful. Those older SAK's look great rescaled. A future project for me for sure.

Any multi tool style thing in this instance is right out I've been given a Lm XE6, and as far as opinels, SAK's etc , they're nice but not what I'm looking for. Those Reeves knifes look perfect but about 50-100 quid over the top end of my budget! And then there's actually finding where to get one! If there is somewhere you fellas buy them, give me the info!

As for spiderco's ice looked at them, a lot. They're very popular and for good reason I'm sure, but I just never liked the style. Besides I always hated spiders. Lol
The search continues!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I've had two Bradley titanium frame lock knives and they are definitely worth thinking about.
But a Sebenza from Chris Reeve is just a fantastic tool, I just wish they were flat ground with a high secondary bevel not a hollow grind .

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Swedish EKA make nice folders with a very good steel in the blade.
The other Swedish company, Fällkniven, also make excellent folders, but are a bit more expensive.

Last edited:

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Also you will find second hand Reeves for sale on British Blades when its back up and running. Loads of people never use them and sell again in brand new condition.

Chui

Feb 18, 2010
London
- the folder I use the most is a Spyderco Slysz Bowie........it's pretty bomb-proof, takes a good edge, very comfy in the hand, and an excellent OHO (one-hand-opener).

So many out there though, I know, you could easily be in a spin :D

IMG_2466.jpg

Slycz%20Bowie.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE