microfibre

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Degrorobogo

Sep 25, 2003
The Netherlands
Hi,

please tell me about your experiences with microfibre clothing with regards to its windproof, waterproof, spark/fireproof and bushcraft qualities!

Cheers, G!

F

FJS90-91

Microfibers have allot of good qualities in concern of weight and warmth but they don’t work well with fire, if u want good bush craft cloth buy wool!!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Like most synthetic materials, the problems are one of sparks and fire ... wearing synthetic materials around fire can be risky to both the clothing and the wearer.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
As always, trade-offs.

As compared to wool, the polyester outdoor fabrics are much more abrasion-resistant, can be washed like cotton, are less likely to irritate the skin, are warmer when damp, and -- as microfibre -- are wind-resistant and somewhat water repellant. Like any plastic, and as noted above, they do not do well with flame or embers. Lots of nice military surplus wool garments are available. You must decide how you strike the balance on these various characteristics.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
One of my favourite microfibre fleeces now has a"Landrover" badge sewn on to cover a hole made when practicing lighting cramp balls! An expensive lesson.

I tend to buy those cheap "wool lined" or quilted, checked cotton outer shirts off the market (about £10) for short trips to the woods now.

Dave

jakunen

Native
Those shirts are great. I've found they even stand up to light rain as the water just tends to 'fuzz' the shirt and doesn't penetrate. Real rain of course does get in...
I use one for fishing on cooler evening/morning trips. Keeps me dry and warm. Plus they make a comfy seat too... :chill:

F

FJS90-91

wool are supirior to microfibers in all ways exept weight.. there is a reason why we in the north are going back too natural fabrics like wool again.. those microfibers dont cut it in the long run.. "vadmal" kick microfiber bottom anyday!.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE