Micro stoves...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am after a tiny stove to put into a response pack for that all important brew time...What ones are the smallest and will fit into a brew kit. I know msr do the pocket rocket, but are there better ones or more versatile ones...?
Ideas appreciated.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I always think the thing that lets down a bimble stove is the fuel - you have to carry a gas cylinder (expensive and you always end up carrying two when one is ready to run out) or a larger bottle or liquid fuel. In my "man bag" I use a hex cooker and crusader or a gas stove in my rucksack.

A couple of people I know have bought these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAPIJET-REFIL...ryZ16036QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They seem to like them for day walks - 3 hr burn time, integral gas storage that you top up from a butane lighter cyclinder. Not as tiny as the optimus, but probably as small or smaller when you take fuel into account - and a lot smaller

3 1/4" by 2 1/4" 454g inc fuel.

Not a long term thing but pretty cheap to buy and run for a day walk stove

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I always think the thing that lets down a bimble stove is the fuel - you have to carry a gas cylinder (expensive and you always end up carrying two when one is ready to run out) or a larger bottle or liquid fuel. In my "man bag" I use a hex cooker and crusader or a gas stove in my rucksack.

A couple of people I know have bought these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAPIJET-REFIL...ryZ16036QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They seem to like them for day walks - 3 hr burn time, integral gas storage that you top up from a butane lighter cyclinder. Not as tiny as the optimus, but probably as small or smaller when you take fuel into account - and a lot smaller

3 1/4" by 2 1/4" 454g inc fuel.

Not a long term thing but pretty cheap to buy and run for a day walk stove

Red

I like this idea Red, and at that price its worth a try me thinks. I like the way it can be re filled again.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats the thing I like most Jon - butane can be had in the pound stores and the guys who have these reckon on four good fills (50ml resevoir) but of course they usually just "top up" rather than run to empty. The gas is much cheaper than self sealing gas cannisters at that price. I must confess I haven't got one myself but I have been really tempted for use as a bimble stove.

If you do get one I'l love to hear how it works out

Oh it has a piezo wossname too

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
A hexy block wrapped in foil.

Open the foil and light the block on top of it.

Stand your cup on three local pebbles over the foil and watch it boil.

When you are done blow the block out and wrap it back up in the foil.

You can't get much smaller than that.

You can't get much more simpler than that either, nice one, cheers Gary...

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
i'm currently using a hexy block (got a crate of the stuff) inside a tin that used to be a jellied petrol stove, with a metal hi-gear mug on top with a tin foil lid

the cooker/tin fits nicely inside the mug with a couple of blocks inside, and it all goe into the response pack :)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I had one of those Rapidjet stoves some time back. The stand comes apart and is a nice flatpack design. I found the stove itself is a bit slower than a standard canister stove, presumable could be speeded up with a windshield. It did make a good bimble stove, although the gas fill seal gave out on mine after a couple of years I may have just been unlucky.

Else how about a small gas stove that fits inside the hollow of a standard gas canister
http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?ID=1321

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
<snip>... I found the stove itself is a bit slower than a standard canister stove,...<snip>
That could be down to the fuel (Butane). IIRC stove cannisters tend to have propane added to improve the heat output/cold weather performance ???

Else how about a small gas stove that fits inside the hollow of a standard gas canister
http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?ID=1321

ooohhh..now that's neat.... if i didn't have a coleman micro i'd buy one of those, just for the 'toy' factor. I'm gonna stop looking at it before i talk myself into one :lmao:

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
A hexy block wrapped in foil.

Open the foil and light the block on top of it.

Stand your cup on three local pebbles over the foil and watch it boil.

When you are done blow the block out and wrap it back up in the foil.

You can't get much smaller than that.

Great idea, and so simple. Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE