mice problem in a tipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My bother, in the army, in Kenya...he and his mates put the legs of their beds into tins with some petrol in them to stop the insects climbing up.
In comes NCO who turned into a screaming dervish....young squaddies sprawled out on beds with petrol fumes all around and they're having a smoke break :rolleyes:

Petrol seems a good idea too, but mebbe no' :D

M

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Less healthily, and for less time, than they do now as domesticated animals.

Well that is life then who wants a old cat that can't catch nothing
My boy was 13 and catches things right up in till he died no vets ever better to have a good blood line than lot of rubbish ones about

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Traps and poison do not work the cats ate the rats which in turn killed the cats, and I can tell you that from first hand experience, look at my address.

Totally disagree. We've had a lot of rat problems from the local stream/river/sewers over the years and we (neighbours) used poison, used traps and four of us had cats (seven in total)... not one died or got ill but we got shot of the rat problem. That said our cats were of the domestic breed and well fed at home and so whilst they would kill rats we had no evidence of them eating the corpes; maybe a different breed of cat up your way. In fact our two would sometimes bring a dead rat home to show us how 'clever' they were.

Given the amount of poison used domestically in the UK if cat death were a real issue I'd have thought we'd here a lot more about it given the tree hugger types who would jump at the chance to have yet another moan.

Put the poison down and do your best to kill the rats, stop faffing about for crying out loud, the OP has an infestation problem that needs dealing with.

Does the OP even have cats?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If I were in the same situation as the OP, I rather think I'd read woodstock's posts, check his address and think it through.................

Who'd know better, I wonder?

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
its a talking point too. think of the confused look on peoples faces when they came to visit your vermin free home. the protective guano coating on your possessions is just a bonus.

article-0-0C7F7AEB00000578-429_964x377.jpg

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Im not going to get drawn into a argument over the issue, I have given my advise from first hand experience of living long term in a tipi take it or leave it.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Im not going to get drawn into a argument over the issue, I have given my advise from first hand experience of living long term in a tipi take it or leave it.

Do not worry a bout it it is mostly city men on here with out a clue
I would trust your judgement and no one wants to hear from a thikko like me

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
LOL@Mary :D

We had a real issue with mice just after we bought our house in Aberdeenshire. It wasn't just a seasonal thing either and no end of traps would seem to ever make a dent in their numbers. Having 2 cats also made us think twice with using poison. I was desperate when one night while watching a nature program on TV I saw predators marking their territory and the scavengers moving away to pastures new. I thought "what the hell, I had nothing to lose!" so for two weeks, every time I needed a pee I went outside and pee'd along the back of the house and around potential areas where they could get in. I also peed around our outbuildings and sheds.

I kid you not it damn well worked! After a week there was a noticeable difference. The traps caught less mice and there was less scampering and gnawing noises. After 2 weeks they were gone! Not a mouse!

Right up until I left the house 6 months ago I would go out once every few weeks and pee along the back wall at the access points. We were never bothered by mice again. If somebody had told me to do that I would have laughed at them and told them where to go.

Give it a go, I'm serious, it worked for me!

EDIT: Oh yeah but don't tell your neighbours as you tend to get a good ribbing about it....often!:lmao:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Hunting mice with dogs is illegal under the hunting with dogs act. Mice or voles are active scavengers and gnawers so they'll likely keep coming to the food source. Trapping or using sticky boards is probably the only answer if you can't live with the mouses.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
LOL@Mary :D

We had a real issue with mice just after we bought our house in Aberdeenshire. It wasn't just a seasonal thing either and no end of traps would seem to ever make a dent in their numbers. Having 2 cats also made us think twice with using poison. I was desperate when one night while watching a nature program on TV I saw predators marking their territory and the scavengers moving away to pastures new. I thought "what the hell, I had nothing to lose!" so for two weeks, every time I needed a pee I went outside and pee'd along the back of the house and around potential areas where they could get in. I also peed around our outbuildings and sheds.

I kid you not it damn well worked! After a week there was a noticeable difference. The traps caught less mice and there was less scampering and gnawing noises. After 2 weeks they were gone! Not a mouse!

Right up until I left the house 6 months ago I would go out once every few weeks and pee along the back wall at the access points. We were never bothered by mice again. If somebody had told me to do that I would have laughed at them and told them where to go.

Give it a go, I'm serious, it worked for me!

EDIT: Oh yeah but don't tell your neighbours as you tend to get a good ribbing about it....often!:lmao:

You could've peed in a bottle then spread it around that way, more practical maybe? :p

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
thanks for the many suggestions. the floor is just ground, nothing down. the sheepskin is naturally tanned, the reindeer isnt tanned, just scrapped.

so i burnt juniper branches, i really smoked the place out with them, having my skins and sleeping bag hangin above the fire. everything smells so smokey now. i also spread juniper branches around where they hang out ( mainly between the outer and inner layers) as i heard that might work, and i also spread some dry peppermint leaves around where they be.

its deffo mice, i seen em before. little brown uns. yesterday i tried the old cat in the tipi method. it sniffed around for maybe 30second and then seemed WAY more interested in gettin outta there than participating in the great moucehunt of `14.

so,.... last night i had no problems. heard some breaking of sticks (im 95% sure it was them gnawwing on the juniper branches so i guess they arnt must of a deterrant). but between the smoking and the peppermint and the scent of the cat being there, something worked!!!

gona try pissin round the outside too for goodluck!

tipi from the outside:http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2co55d5&s=8
from the inside:http://s8.postimg.org/6yqov7hb8/IMG_9858.jpg

thanks again all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE