Meths Storage

Can I use this to store my meths in ,
red.jpg

or does it need a special seal on the lid. The lid thats on it seems to be moulded plastic with a rubber/plastic seal.

Reason I ask is , I was making the beer can burner & thought I've not got anything to keep the meths in & found this in my cupboard.

what do you all use to keep your combustible liquids in? :)

Tree

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
The "proper" Trangia fuel bottle comes in 0.5l & 1l sizes and is the only thing that I am allowed to carry meths in when running D o E expeditions because of its anti spill nozzle.

Have used them for years and never had a problem - not cheap but are well worth the money!

2716.jpg

Simon

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I've always stored meths in the bottle I bought it in.

Even carried in a side pocket of my rucksack when backpacking I've never had a bottle crack or leak.

Stu

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The "proper" Trangia fuel bottle comes in 0.5l & 1l sizes and is the only thing that I am allowed to carry meths in when running D o E expeditions because of its anti spill nozzle.

Have used them for years and never had a problem - not cheap but are well worth the money!

2716.jpg

Simon

Very good bottles, designed for meths. Meths will eat through SOME seals, so either use the bottle they came in, or buy the Trangia kit. Shop around and you can buy just the Trangia stopper and seal which will seat in pretty much any fuel bottle. What I have had happen when I've left meths in store in standard fuel bottles for a long time, is that the stopper seems to glue itself to the bottle, very strange:rolleyes:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I use the half litre Tangia bottle on the rare occiasons that I need that much but mainly I use a Platypus bag/ bottle, the "little nipper" size one. Never managed to puncture it and it's never leaked even when left in a cuboard for six months.

I got a lid with a twist to open spout (red) from a US website, backpackinglight I think, which makes filling the burner a doddle. Saying that I use a normal cap (or coke bottle cap) when I'm not actually pouring from it since i'm a bit paranoid about leaks.

Very light, packs down to nothing when empty and can be squidged intside mugs etc.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE