Meths burning stoves – A users review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
Back to work today to find my Tatonka waiting. Impressively quick service from Lakeland, despite the BFPO's usual efforts to delay things - thanks, Lurch. Looking forward to trying the stove out over the weekend.

Thanks for the Tatonka setup, Lurch.

Here's my comparison of the stoves.

AlcoholBurnerComparison.gif

The Tatonka has a very large reservoir, can be better choked down and snuffs. The Trangia cannot be choked down and is almost impossible to blow out. I concur that the Tatonka has a slightly lower output than the Trangia, but it is so much more flexible. I can simmer with it where I can't with the Trangia. I also like the stainless construction and build quality. My only complaint is it is not exactly compatible with the Trangia system and rattles about a bit.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I compared the Tatonka vs. the (standard) Trangia in my kitchen and found the priming times to be quite comparable (around a minute for each). At least, my Trangia burner got to a "full gas ring" state pretty quickly. I've found that the lower thermal capacity of the Tatonka (= faster cooling) is a really useful benefit vs. the Trangia though.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
might of missed the answer to this but can you carry meths in the burner with the screw top on over say a day/weekend to save me carring a meths bottle as well as the burner and stand? mine has a seal on it but it says dont store meths in side when not in use?

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
might of missed the answer to this but can you carry meths in the burner with the screw top on over say a day/weekend to save me carring a meths bottle as well as the burner and stand? mine has a seal on it but it says dont store meths in side when not in use?

Humm! Dont know about this it may leak into your gear? I suppose you could put the burner-(with meths added) inside a polly bag just to be on the safe side ;)

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can carry them safely in you pocket, don't think a poly bag would stop much of a leak if it occured, fuel will aways find a leak in a bag.

Safer to buy a proper Tragia fuel bottle with safety pourer, you can get them in half litre size. A full Tatonka burner won't be enough for a weekend unless you can live on a couple of packs of noodles and a cup of tea.

This type

eBay

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Indeed they do. That £4.99 was worth every penny. I think they may have crept up to £7.99 now, but the Lidl trangia clone is well worth the money IMO. Get one when you see them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE