Methods of fire lighting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I don't know if they were part of it but there was a whole torch modding scene a few years back. Usually used "C" & "D" cell Maglite® bodies as donor units and they'd rewire and trick out with gold electronics, frensel lenses, fancy reflectors and high end bulbs. Some got so powerful that they would cook eggs when pointed at them and the beam could also set newspaper alight when directed onto it. There were whole forums & websites dedicated to it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
I've still got one of those - a 2D Maglite modified to run a projector bulb off a rechargeable battery pack :cool:
You could set light to newspaper with it (from about 10mm in front of the lens)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've still got one of those - a 2D Maglite modified to run a projector bulb off a rechargeable battery pack :cool:
You could set light to newspaper with it (from about 10mm in front of the lens)

Sounds a beast. Do you still use it?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Was idly wondering all the different ways of lighting a fire in the woods. So far I've got:

1. Matches/Lighter
  2. Ferro Rod
  3. Flint and Steel
  4. Bow drill
  5. Fire plough
  6. Hand Drill
  7. Solar (Magnifying glass)
  8. Chemical (glycerine and potassium permanganate etc...)
  9. Electrical (battery + steel wool)
  10. Compression (Fire Piston)

What have I missed ?

J

1. Fire roll which is a friction fire like handrill/bowdrill/plow but different.

2. Brimstone matches which differ from strike on pack or hard surface matches.

3. Rock on rock percussion using natural tinder which differs from carbon steel age percussion IMHO.

4. Electric coil lighter also counts IMHO as it differs from gas lighter and battery +steel wool.

Electronic cigarette lighter.

Brimstone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE