Methods of fire lighting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Was idly wondering all the different ways of lighting a fire in the woods. So far I've got:

1. Matches/Lighter
  2. Ferro Rod
  3. Flint and Steel
  4. Bow drill
  5. Fire plough
  6. Hand Drill
  7. Solar (Magnifying glass)
  8. Chemical (glycerine and potassium permanganate etc...)
  9. Electrical (battery + steel wool)
  10. Compression (Fire Piston)

What have I missed ?

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Remembered another one:

1. Matches/Lighter
  2. Ferro Rod
  3. Flint and Steel
  4. Bow drill
  5. Fire plough
  6. Hand Drill
  7. Solar (Magnifying glass)
  8. Chemical (glycerine and potassium permanganate etc...)
  9. Electrical (battery + steel wool)
  10. Compression (Fire Piston)
  11. Fire Saw

Any more?

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Spontaneous. A mix of dry and damp straw mixed together can combust naturally (as can linseed soaked rags). Don't think I'd want to count on it as it can be a bit hit & miss and take a fair bit of time.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jan 8, 2016
Germany
Different possibilities wirth solar:

1.) Glass/PET bottle with water
2.) Glass/PET bottle with different liquid (like urin etc...)
3.) Plastic Bag with liquid of 1.) and 2)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered that too….I know that fresh cashew nuts are supposed to have a problem with that, but it's en masse, iimmc.
Brazil nuts do burn well; cut a slice off so that it stands on end and light it. It'll burn like a candle.
Sort of.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I wondered that too….I know that fresh cashew nuts are supposed to have a problem with that, but it's en masse, iimmc.
Brazil nuts do burn well; cut a slice off so that it stands on end and light it. It'll burn like a candle.
Sort of.

M

Have you even seen pictures of cashew nuts growing? Not what you'd expect. The whole flower and ripening body is very strange.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
How is that supposed to work?
As the oils in the nut begin to go rancid, they generate quite a bit of heat

from The German Transportation Information Service

"Brazil nuts should not be stowed together with fibers/fibrous materials as oil-impregnated fibers may promote self-heating/spontaneous combustion of the cargo.
Self-heating of Brazil nuts is an extremely vigorous process, as the consumption of fatty acids by respiration processes is associated with a considerably greater evolution of heat than is the case with the respiration equation for carbohydrates. Here too, as with cereals, the spoilage process proceeds in a type of chain reaction, because heat and water are formed by the fatty acids consumed by respiration, which in turn contribute to an intensification of the process."

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

That's an interesting technique. How does it work? If I understand it he's pouring some ash on cotton, then compressing it ?

Parabolic mirror
Iron pyrites and flint
Car battery
Water (solar
Ice (solar
Pump drill

Hope that helps

What's the Pump drill ?

How is that supposed to work?
Have not tried it myself yet, but the only other method which comes to my mind right now would be the fire thong....

Fire thong goes on the list.

J

That's an interesting technique. How does it work? If I understand it he's pouring some ash on cotton...

J

It's fire by friction - I believe that the ashes only increase the internal friction - although they may also contribute chemically somehow.

There is another guy on youtube that also does it with many different materials - but cotton and ashes is the easiest, and best for giving it a try. Search for "friction fire roll" or "friction fire rudiger role".

It's a good one to know as it takes much less physical effort than a bow drill.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
  1. Matches/Lighter
  2. Ferro Rod
  3. Flint and Steel
  4. Bow drill
  5. Fire plough
  6. Hand Drill
  7. Fire Thong
  8. Solar (Magnifying glass, bottle, ice)
  9. Solar (Parabolic reflector)
  10. Chemical (glycerine and potassium permanganate etc...)
  11. Electrical (battery + steel wool et al)
  12. Compression (Fire Piston)
  13. Fire Saw
  14. Fire roll

Any more? I've left out spontaneous combustion as I'm not sure it's one you can easily harness in the woods, ditto stabbing batteries.

Keep em coming...

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE