Methods of fire lighting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Has anybody tried igniting char cloth with one of those big hand held piezoelectric gas hob sparkers ?
31mcg5BzG2L._SY300_.jpg

Would natural sources count?! Maybe not that common in UK but I saw a bushfire starting from lightning strike in OZ.... And on another occasion used burning branches from a forest fire in tasmaniaC for my own purposes....
After all: before they learned how to make fire early hominids""harvested""fire from natural sources...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Would natural sources count?! Maybe not that common in UK but I saw a bushfire starting from lightning strike in OZ.... And on another occasion used burning branches from a forest fire in tasmaniaC for my own purposes....
After all: before they learned how to make fire early hominids""harvested""fire from natural sources...

It is a technique, but it does rely an awful lot on chance. It's not exactly a technique you can say "I'm going to go out on Tuesday and light a fire with lightning". But hey, if the stars align, no reason not to use it.

J

It is a technique, but it does rely an awful lot on chance. It's not exactly a technique you can say "I'm going to go out on Tuesday and light a fire with lightning". But hey, if the stars align, no reason not to use it.

J

I was aware of the fact it requires an awful lot of chance.... :rolleyes: and I would NOT want to rely on it.... or spontaneous self-combustion....
But then: no method works always(= try solar ignition at nighttime or with overcast sky:p);I use whatever is available.(and hasten to add I have not touched evil magic since over four years-- only traditional methods for me!)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

J

You could try a level four wizard casting on a D20. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
psychokinesis

We're setting fire to things, not throwing them around, silly.

More or less on the chemical theme, there's a cute little thing that you can light town gas with. We had one at home fifty years ago but then they switched us to natural gas and it wouldn't work any more. No idea where it is now.
Here's a similar one I found on the 'net.
Ours wasn't quite the same construction, It was a tiny ball of platinum black or similar catalyst held in a circular frame with three fine wires - I guess the wire might also have been platinum to cope with the heat.
All you had to do was turn on the gas and hold the little bead in the stream of gas. It immediately glowed red and ignited the gas.

Once I saw a lighter offered for swap on BCUK which apparently worked on a similar principle but used meths as a fuel. I tried to get hold of it but never heard back from the owner. :(

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Ok getting back on topic, has anybody else come across Wicked Lasers flash lights?
Here's a snippet from the sales blurb and a video of one in action.
3000mAh Rechargeable Battery... 4100 lumens (100Watts) of intense white light. Use this power to guide your way home, light a fire, or even fry an egg!
[video]https://youtu.be/NiKzrnKR3Ts[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ok getting back on topic, has anybody else come across Wicked Lasers flash lights?
Here's a snippet from the sales blurb and a video of one in action.

[video]https://youtu.be/NiKzrnKR3Ts[/video]

I don't know if they were part of it but there was a whole torch modding scene a few years back. Usually used "C" & "D" cell Maglite® bodies as donor units and they'd rewire and trick out with gold electronics, frensel lenses, fancy reflectors and high end bulbs. Some got so powerful that they would cook eggs when pointed at them and the beam could also set newspaper alight when directed onto it. There were whole forums & websites dedicated to it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE