methods for attatching bail handles to home made billies

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I have some SS cannisters which are ideal for billies however before I start I am looking at idea's for attatching bail handles. I will be using brake cables with termblocks I have thought of rivetting brackets on them but what other options.

I have some SS cannisters which are ideal for billies however before I start I am looking at idea's for attatching bail handles. I will be using brake cables with termblocks I have thought of rivetting brackets on them but what other options.

How about two small holes and a split ring as per the mod in the recent Guyot water bottle thread? Fishing shops sell crimps that could secure the cable?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I keep it simple - drill a hole and insert bent wire...coathanger wire for big billies, knitting needles for small ones.
Size the loop to lie against the billie - simples!
Ain't had one fail yet!

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
I obtained some brake cable and I can't find out how to join the the cable to itself so it makes a loop. I see a brass coloured joint thing that looks like it is crimped to clamp the two pieces together but can't get any info.

Any help please?

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
How about some small diameter aluminium tube?Say about a cm long, thread it onto the wire then thread the wire through the billy, form a loop and thread the end of the wire into the tube and crimp it up.Hope that makes sence..

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I see a brass coloured joint thing that looks like it is crimped to clamp the two pieces together but can't get any info.

I think the brass bit is out of an electrical choc box, thats what I used. Once fully tight file the screwheads flat.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I obtained some brake cable and I can't find out how to join the the cable to itself so it makes a loop. I see a brass coloured joint thing that looks like it is crimped to clamp the two pieces together but can't get any info.

Any help please?

I think the brass bit is out of an electrical choc box, thats what I used. Once fully tight file the screwheads flat.

Yep like Bazz says,cut all the plastic off the outside, screw em down tight, even superglue them if you want and then ground or file the head off.

terminal.jpg

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

Any help please?

Here's mine...
minibilly003.jpg

Take a small length of your cable to B&Q and look for the section that sells metal tubes. There should be brass tubing of different diameters sold in 1 meter lengths (I think hobby shops sell it too). You are looking for tubing which will just about accept 2 strands of cable through the middle. Cut into 2 x 1 inch lengths. Slide both lengths onto your bail wire. Feed the ends of the wire through the bracket/hole on your billy and double back on itself to form a loop. Slide the brass tube down over the end and crimp several times. Repeat for the other side. Job done.

B&Q also sell wire cable.

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Anyone any ideas ( pref with pic) on how to attach to the can part ?
I have some biscuit barrels (with lids) that i want to put handles on.
Alan

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I keep it simple - drill a hole and insert bent wire...coathanger wire for big billies, knitting needles for small ones.
Size the loop to lie against the billie - simples!
Ain't had one fail yet!

I go with John, wire coat hangers have a multitude of uses, billy handles being just one, crap for coats, great for billys.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE