Meteor shower 13-14th !!! Visible around the world !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caffeine

Banned
Jul 29, 2012
Earth
21917_508266705861012_114013905_n.png

It's been a pretty disappointing year for me, celestial sights wise. There have been the usual meteor showers (it was cloudy for me every time), the transit of Venus (also cloudy) and several eclipses (none were visible from my area).
Luckily, we still have the Geminids left. They're generally considered to be one of the best and most reliable meteor showers of the year, so hopefully we'll get a good show.
They will appear to radiate from the constellation of Gemini, and you could spot up to 120 meteors per hour. The moon will be new meaning that visibility should be very good.
Although Dec 13th-14th is the peak, meteors will be visible for several days before and after that so don't forget to look up this week.

As usual, if you get any good photographs please send them our way.

dont forget to look up :)

every time there's an event like this i always miss lol but here's a heads up :)

this was also mentioned on the sky at night last night so its for real

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It always makes me wonder, with everything moving around in space, and these things when we see them being only being about 15 miles away, could we ever move into the path of one of these meteor showers?

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
erm, a meteor shower is where they enter the earths atmosphere and burn up. So to answer your question, we have moved into the paths of these showers, on numerous occasions.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
How can we see a meteor shower if the world ends on Dec 12th....? :lmao:Should be good if I remember to look for it. Unless I am out rabbiting I am bound to miss it

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"..dont forget to look up..."

I will be, possibly only laid out on my roof though. About three weeks ago I just happened to glance up at the sky and saw the brightest meteor I have ever seen, and used to live in the North West of Scotland so I have seen a few. :)

Could this be the start of the end of the world planned for the 21st ?....

:) the end of the world (as you know it) has already started to end.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just thinking about the recent (in the scheme of things) Tunguska event in 1908. A meteor airburst estimated to have the power of 185 hiroshima bombs which leveled 2000sq km of forest. They now think the meteor was only 30m to 40m in diameter.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/30jun_tunguska/

We have "meteor season" from late summer to early winter. Quite a few different showers. Perseids, leonids, geminids... at their peak, 100+ per hour, they last a week or more. So on average call it 50 per hour, for a week. Thats 8400 meteors entering our atmosphere, per shower, i've listed 3. Thats on average, 25,200 meteors that enter our atmosphere, between, late summer and early winter.....every year. The Tunguska event was just one space rock and not a very big one really. :)

If the above event is anything to go by, it happens. :)

erm, a meteor shower is where they enter the earths atmosphere and burn up. So to answer your question, we have moved into the paths of these showers, on numerous occasions.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...If the above event is anything to go by, it happens. :)..."

One "just missed us" earlier today! :eek:

http://www.space.com/18854-newfound-asteroid-close-flyby-earth.html

By "just missed" I mean that it came within 140,000 miles (230,000 kilometers) which is obviously not that close, however the interesting point is that we only noticed it three days ago, so not nearly enough time for President Morgan Freeman to build a huge bunker and fill it with useful people and artifacts. :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
It always makes me wonder, with everything moving around in space, and these things when we see them being only being about 15 miles away, could we ever move into the path of one of these meteor showers?

if we all jump up and down maybe ;)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
its actually loads more than 25000 a year, its several thousand a day, mostly the size of a grain of rice. Once a week or so there's one the size of a car and every few months we get one about house sized, they almost all burn up in the atmosphere very few chunks make it down to Earth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE