Metal Question - 5160 Spring Steel

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So aimed to the metal workers out there , 5160 pro's and Cons - what would it be good for?

Cheers

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
5160 is totally useless please send it to me for proper disposal ;-) but being serious, it's great for load bearing, it's flexibility makes it almost perfect for European style sword forging and because of its chromium content will resist corrosion better than other higher carbon steels. Depending on thickness it's pretty tough stuff so I imagine itd also be suitable for short blades.

However. Its a pig to weld, but you can arc or gas weld it if you preheat and slow cool it. It can't be quenched in water because of its prophensity to crack like an eggshell.

What kind of thing where you looking at doing with it?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Good sturdy steel but as I said not easy to work with. Maybe even crossbow limbs.
Judging by the finish and general feel of that site I'd wager they're old leaf springs, making blades from them is probably as old as the metal leaf spring itself! You'll be able to make a nice usable blade, or if you're so inclined something similar to the weapons on that site!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE