Buck 245 in 5160 any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tickles196

Sep 18, 2021
Northamptonshire
Hi, I have this matt leathers buck 245 in 5160 in great condition and never tried it in the outdoors, is it any good for bushcraft, I am thinking of getting rid wish i could get a jaakariopuukko but they don't ship to uk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It won't make any bushcraft tasks easier for you to learn. If you want a knife for bushcraft, and you do not want to keep the Buck to look at, then I would try to sell it (although I am not sure that you would have much luck here). Then use the funds to buy something that looked less tacti-cool, but was better designed for the kind of outdoors tasks you are likely to encounter.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
those finger groves look useless for one than a simple grip

When did varusteleka stop shipping to the UK?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
those finger groves look useless for one than a simple grip

When did varusteleka stop shipping to the UK?
If you look at their site they have a message against all knives that they cannot ship to the UK. If you want other gear, no problem.

The finger grooves are the biggest problem. Other things are the sabre grind, steep secondary bevel, swedge, skull crusher butt, and the narrow but blocky and lumpy handle. With enough effort the edge could be sharpened down to a low enough angle to cut wood, probably would scuff up the coating on the main bevel in the process, best to convex blend. The spine is ground so will never be scraper for tinder or fire steel. Swedges chew up batons faster than square spines.
All in all, better to find something else.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thats a shame - no reason why they couldn't ship perfectly legal knives to the UK

poor form on their part - looks like I won't be supporting them again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE