Metal grill/mesh

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Quick question from those in the know.
I have myself a Nimblewill stove that I made slightly larger than the plans. Though it's now an ideal size, it does mean that a couple of my pots are too small to sit on it.
So what I was going to do was buy a cheap grill from Wilkos or somewhere and cut it so it sat across the stove.
But I remember reading that someone said that if the chrome gets hot it can give off nasty fumes. But is the same for a grill - which is designed to get hot?
Appreciate some advice on this, or an alternative metal grill/mesh to use (I don't have a welder or else I'd make one myself)?
Cheers.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Most Home grill meshes do not get any where near as hot as on a open fire. Also they are made of thinner wire and can ( and DO ) bend under a pot of water).

Will need to make sure you pick up a decent thick enough grid if you get it from Wilco. Having said that it is a good source of good price items. I would suggest a trial run to burn off any coating.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
do you need a full grill or can you get away with a couple of metal rods/tent pegs etc? Kind of like the ones shown here;

image005.jpg

I use a grill on mine but only as it's a perfect fit.

3255474626_6fbdc38cdc.jpg
I

A proper grill should be fine but maybe give it a couple of well ventilated good burns if you're worried..

Cheers,

Alan

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yeah, I was thinking I could use a couple of rods or something.
I was thinking of maybe using a barbecue grill, since that may be better suited to the direct heat?
Cheers anyway.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Aldi had some cages to go on the back of a letter box, a while ago, and they were about £2.99, if you can find one they cut down easily.

As an alternative, you could pick a piece of mesh from an enginering works.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
How about the msh off a disposabl grill. I always keep them as they look too good to bin. They now form the grate in my wood burner.

Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE